do i have to drill the vinyl window frame?

Old 10-28-07, 12:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
do i have to drill the vinyl window frame?

hello, group. i'm in the process of building a new home and it will have single hung vinyl windows. i've found a few threads that discuss how to choose and install wired window contacts in vinyl, but it's still unclear to me how to install them.

i know i want a wired magnetic contact, and i know i want it to be hidden as best as it can since i'll be able to install it before the sheetrock gets installed. if i choose a switch like this (mighty mag - http://www.grisk.com/recessed/mighty_mag.htm -), it appears i'd have to drill the vinyl frame. i've read on this forum this may/does void my window warranty (or do you void when the sash assembly is drilled?). is this just common practice? do i drill the bottom frame of the window or one of side frames? obviously it depends on where i can place the rare earth magnet on the sash. if i have room in both locations, is one or the other preferred? i'd assume the side frame is better just in case liquid fills the lower frame and wets the switch.

i don't have the windows picked out yet, and i hope i don't have to wait to see them installed before i order my contacts. GRI's site has may types, so i know i can find something that will work. i would just prefer not having surface mounted exposed contacts.

is there something i'm missing about installing these recessed switches? does anyone know of a site that has pictures of installed recessed switches in windows? pictures would help me tremendously. (maybe one of these wonderful forum moderators could snap a quick pic of one of their jobs!)

thanks in advance for your replies and this helpful forum.

Old 10-28-07, 03:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Vinyl windows are the latest pain in the neck for installing security hardware. They tend to have tight spaces for doing anything, and fairly restrictive warranties.

Yes, to use a recessed type switch you have to drill a 3/8" hole. You may be able to go through the bottom sash without voiding the warranty. The switches themselves are pretty much impervious to moisture (the ones with built in leads are epoxy filled). To prevent moisture getting into your wall void, once the contact is in place, a bit of clear silicon seals it pretty well. (If the window is properly installed, you will never get water in this location, anyway). All that is visible is the flat top of the contact housing. If you get the color that matches your frame, it's close to invisible.

You may have to resign yourself to using surface mount contacts if your warranty voids on any penetration of the frame (some do come with designed in points for such contacts, by the way). There are several smaller ones that are not so glaring (The GRI 505 series are pretty tiny)

Old 10-29-07, 07:39 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you, MrRon. sounds like i should probably get a handful recessed and surface mount and compare when the windows get installed.

thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: