ADEMCO 6148 keypad not working

Old 10-28-07, 07:35 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a new home with a Honeywell Vista series alarm system with ADEMCO 6148 keypad already installed. I had an alarm company come out and install 2 more 6148 keypads. One at the front door and one at the back door. When the prewire was done they had made a mistake and ran a two wire to the back door location instead of a four wire. The installer connected the two wires from the control panel and the other two wires I assume were for power he ran to a small transformer which he plugged into the wall below the keypad (yes he hid the wires in the wall).
But the problem is the keypad doesn't work. It lights up, the screen works, it makes all the noices, but the buttons do nothing. He mentioned something about it being the ground. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-29-07, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
You didn't say what alarm model it's connected to. Assuming that it's a 15p or a 20p, did he activate the keypad address in system programming?

Normally when powering something with an add on power supply, you need to bond the grounds together, but this sounds more like a setup error.

Old 10-29-07, 07:55 AM
M

Thanks for replying Ron.

I did see the installer programming the key pad. Everything seems to work normally on the keypad except for the keys. The screen corresponds with what the other keypads show. The sounds work and the armed/disarmed lights work.
And your right it is a 15 or 20p. I can't remember which one off hand and if it makes a difference I'll grab the manual and find out.

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 10-29-07, 02:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
15/20P share a manual, so that gets us close enough.

They are very specific in the installer manual about bonding an add on power supply to the panel ground, so I suspect I suspect that that may well be your issue.

If you can take the same keypad and piggy-back it to the existing keypads and have it work properly, then the only fix is to get another pair of conductors at least to one of the other keypads (preferably to the motherboard).

Old 10-29-07, 03:56 PM
M
Thanks for the info. Since I haven't paid for the install yet maybe I'll just hold that check untill they get it right. Although judging by the tech that did the install I don't know if that'll ever happen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: