Motion sensor tripping Alarm

Old 11-06-07, 06:11 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motion sensor tripping Alarm

Hello all... I am having hte following issues with my home alarm system:
1. Motion detector continues to trigger the alarm
2. Glass Break sensors continue to trigger the alarm.

History on the alarm, it came with the house when purchased several months ago. THe setup is:
FBI XL-2t
DSC AC100 Acuity Glassbreak Sensor
ROKONET COSMoS DT motion sensor

I can tell you that the previous owners had the motion sensor disconnected for what I guess is the same issue I am currently experiencing, though they did not have this motion sensor ( i purchased this model since I have two small dogs weighing about 15lbs each). If I bypass both zones the issue the alarm does not trigger. I have gone ahead and rewired the motion sensor cabling but same problems. I went ahead and bypassed tonight only the glass break sensors and the alarm triggered itself due to the motion sensor. Now this does not occur all the time... It is sporatic. Could it be an alarm system problem or sensor problem? I do really want to be able to use the alarm with these sensors. Right now I have gone ahead and disconnected the motion sensor from the zone and just put the resistor across the zone and it has not triggered. Any ideas or troubleshooting steps I should take? Thanks

Old 11-06-07, 04:01 PM
It sounds like a wiring problem (a break in the wire between control and device)

Remove the motion and bring to the control panel. Connect a small piece of wire to the same terms of the old one with the resistor in line (you didn't say what kind of control/panel you have), also connect the power leads to the power terminals, and see if that stops the problem - repeat with the glass break

this would single out the wire as the problem (mice, shifting, poor installation, etc) and new would need to be run...

Jim

Old 11-06-07, 06:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
One problem that happens with older security systems, is that they start having glitches with the 12v power output that supplies powered devices like motions and glassbreaks.

Acoustic glass break devices are very stable, it actually takes quite a bit to trip one. Loss of power, however is one of the things that can make one false alarm randomly (with either type of device, power loss makes the alarm contacts open up).

Check your system battery, if it's weak, with older systems, you will get this effect because they rely on the battery to somewhat regulate the power supply output.

You may simply be seeing the first signs of the main panel starting to fail...

Old 11-08-07, 06:04 PM
H
As for the wire I can say that is not the problem since I have already ran a new cable and still remains. I will try putting the sensor closer to the mainboard and connect and test. As for battery test, how do I determine this? House is about 6 years old and I would suspect the alarm was installed then. As for control panel, the alarm is an FBI XL-2t. Thank again

Old 11-08-07, 06:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
The best quick and dirty battery test is to put a voltmeter on the battery and disconnect the AC power. If it holds above 12 volts for a good span of time, then the battery is good. If it drops rapidly, the battery is probably failing.

Old 11-08-07, 08:16 PM
If it's the original battery, there's a good chance that's your problem. Some power supplies can be affected by an old battery that's "sucks" down the power. That's a good place to start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: