Ademco PR 500 PIR Motion Detector

Old 11-16-07, 05:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco PR 500 PIR Motion Detector

I have an Ademco Home Security System and part of that system is a PR 500 PIR Motion Detector (a little on the older side). I was wallpapering and had to move the motion dectector so I unwired the 4 color coded wires. When I finished papering and rewired the motion sensor it did not work. Any ideas as to what may have happened? Or what I can do to fix it?

Old 11-16-07, 07:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
You have to look at the terminals in the device. Terminal 1 & 2 are for the alarm loop connection (no it really doesn't matter which), terminal 3 is +12vdc power, terminal 4 is -12vdc power.

If the original installer followed standard practice power will be red/black.

Old 11-16-07, 08:26 PM
M
I only had the device disconnected for maybe 10 minutes and rewired it exactly the way it was prior to me disconnecting it. Green wire to 1st terminal, yellow wire to 2nd terminal, red wire to 3rd terminal, and black wire to the 4th terminal. The device never became activated after I rewired it.
Is there something I have to do in reprogramming the system or such to get the motion sensor activated again?

Old 11-16-07, 09:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
No, it's just a motion activated switch, there is no programming beyond the original zone configuration.
Often with ademco alarm panels, if you create a system trouble, you have to enter your arm/disam code as if disarming ([code]+1) to clear latched troubles.

If you accidentally shorted the power wires together, you could have blown a fuse on the system motherboard (what model?). A simple test, twist the green and yellow together. If the zone closes, then either you are not getting power, or the motion got damaged and needs to be replaced.

Old 11-23-14, 07:48 AM
Post Hate to revive an old topic, but...

Hello all,

Hate to revive an old topic, annoying, I know. But if you or anyone reading this is interested here is the manual for the PR-500 Motion Detector by Ademco:

http://firealarmresources.com/wp-con...n-Detector.pdf

Those motions are from the 1980's/1990's era, and by now, their replacement is quite overdue. I personally recommend the Ademco AURORA PIR Motion Detector. It is meant to 1-up those old detectors in the sense that it'll be Ademco's new primary motion sensor. They run anywhere from $9.00 USD to $20.00 USD online. Also, the AURORA PIR is pet-immune for pets up to 40lbs I think, somewhere around there.

-Demetri Poulos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: