Ademco Vista-12A with 6149EX keypad

Old 11-18-07, 03:08 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ademco Vista-12A with 6149EX keypad

Hi all,

I am glad I found this website as I am going nuts trying to sort this problem. I installed a new system today with only 1 PIR to get it all up and running.
The problem I have is when I apply AC power the external sounder activates and the keypad Armed & Ready leds flash but no display.

I have read the user guide, the programming guide and the installation manual. Nothing tells me why this is happening.

Please will someone help me out as I realy need this thing working as my car got broken into in the drive and I hope the house is not next.

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve

Old 11-18-07, 06:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Looking at the manual, and the guess that you are in Australia, this looks to be the export version of the Vista 10p.

You have to set the address of the first keypad to 16 for it to display anything (press 1+3 when the keypad is first powered up, and then press 16* to set the address.)

It's easy to miss in the instructions, it's a single small paragraph on page 9, and the instructions on setting the address for the keypad are on the keypad installation instruction sheet (which most people loose track of 10 seconds after they open the box).

If you hooked up your device to zone 1, that zone is usually default set as a fire zone, so as soon as your motion activates, the panel will go into alarm. For your initial setup, just put resistors on the zone inputs until you get the programming done. Then you can mess with your field wiring.

(It's an odd quirk of this recent series of models that there is no listing of the zone default settings in the manual)

Old 11-18-07, 03:58 PM
A
Thanks

Thank you, yes I am in Australia WA in fact.
I read very late last night about the default address being 31 and knew that was wrong. I will do as you say when I get home and see how I go.
I will keep you posted on the outcome.
Thanks again.

Steve

Old 11-19-07, 01:18 AM
A
Cant enter address 16 on keypad

Hi here is the next installment.
I did as suggested, I disconnected the external & internal sounders, I removed the PIR and put 2000 ohm resisters on all 6 zones. This only left the keypad connected to the panel.

When I powered it up the 2 leds ready and armed flash and the address change method did not work.

I read that it wont if the panel is in programming mode. I thought I would try to get into programming mode then back out then do the address change again, even though I cant read a thing on the display.

I powered up pressed * and # at the same time, I keyed in
4 then 1 then 1 then 1 then 8 then 0 then 0 I then keyed *98.

I powered down then back up and pressed 1 & 3 at the same time, pressed 16* and nothing happened. Nothing comes up on the screen and the 2 leds still flash away happily.

Any other guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by AussiAlba; 11-19-07 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-19-07, 06:08 AM
A
Additional info

Hi,

Just wanted to add more to this saga.

I double checked the wiring and it is all done correctly.
I also checked the data wires were ok - 2.3 ohms on continuity. I checked the voltage at the keypad, 13.54 volts DC.
I tried powering down for 10 minutes then up again, pressed 1 and 3 for 20 seconds then 16 ** nothing happenend any different.

I have been in contact with the supplier who requested returning the keypad. I hope its that and not the main pcb,

Any thoughts anyone?

Old 11-19-07, 04:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
It may be the keypad. Don't try to do the keypad address by powering down the whole panel and hustling over to press 1+3 (which if everything is working right will show "31" initially), you can power up the whole system and then unplug the keypad for a minute.

Is this used/auction site purchased hardware? Could the system be powering up armed? Often systems get sold on such sites because they got shut down in alarm, and no one knows the disarm code, and unscrupulous sellers sell them as operational hardware.

Old 11-20-07, 02:49 AM
A
I posted back the keypad today and will see what they say.

Yes it was purchased on ebay but the seller is a store with 100% feedback. All the components were individually boxed and brand new not used.

I will let you know the outcome when I get it or a replacement back.

Thanks so far.

Old 07-18-08, 09:28 PM
A
Update on information

Hi all,

Just wanted to close out the problem.
It turned out the keypad was a dead duck.
I got a new one and was able to do as instructed with
the address, thanks.

I also linked out all zones then bypassed them to start
programming.

I used code 4112 to set and reset the device.

Whilst doing this I ended up with STAY being armed and cant disarm it, I did test the panic alarm at the time by pressing * #

Back to the manual I guess.

Old 07-18-08, 11:03 PM
A
Update

I have now powered down the main console and did *# and got into programming mode.

All good now, changed user alarm code etc.

Working through bypassing and setting up zones.

Goodness alarms have come a long way since I put
my first cheap system in 15 years ago.

Thanks for the advice Ron your a super star.

Old 07-19-08, 01:47 AM
A
Help !!!!

I have set up the keypad and now know whats going on or so I thought, I have wired in one PIR (on zone 3 then zone 4)
But I can not get the keypad to display ready unless I bypass Zone 1 (all the time) or bypass the zone that has the PIR on it.
When the zone with the PIR is not bypassed it goes to ready when the PIR is activated???

The PIR is wired High wire into tamper contact, loop from other side of tamper contact to PIR contact and Low then returns to master control unit. There is also a 2K resister across the PIR contact.

I followed the wiring diagram and expected this to be ok.
I can not get into *56 Zone Programming to see how it is set up, I can only go by the default info which I achieved by doing a *97 download.

Any ideas please, thanks.

Old 07-19-08, 03:27 AM
A
Update

Hi,

I just read on another thread for the 10p that one has to wire
the motion sensor onto a zone with 04 interior follower, that is zone 2 by default. I have done that as well as wiring in the resistor in SERIES (that is not how the wiring diagram shows it!!!!). Ready lights up and goes out when the PIR activates. I armed the system and tested it, it now works :-). Also zone 1 does not need bypassed as I had a loose wire. Note to self just read Rons posts and the answers will appear.

Last edited by AussiAlba; 07-19-08 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Found answer on another thread

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: