Adding wired water sensors to vista 20p

Old 01-08-08, 10:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding wired water sensors to vista 20p

I have a Safewatch 3000/vista 20-p to which I want to add a pair of water sensors and I have a couple questions. The system is mostly wireless and only has 2 hardwired zones (7 and 8) in use. I am going to add the water sensors in zone 6.

I intend to wire the two sensors in parallel with a normally open setup.

1) The water sensors says it needs 5 volts, will the panel provide this off a normal hardwired zone?
2) The panel installation guide refers to the connection pairs as HI and LO, which is the positive and which is the negative?
3) From my understanding EOL resistors are for security purposes and not something that I would include in this zone, correct?
4) Response Time: is this the time that the sensor must be closed before the alarm sounds, or something else? Does it matter what I use for a water sensor (my options are:10mSec, 350mSec, 700mSec, or 1.2seconds
5) Report Code: What is this and what should I set it to? Is it something specific to my company doing the monitoring (ADT)?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-08, 10:36 AM
If you are under contract with ADT, they may not want you to add these devices yourself, but to answer your questions:

1.) Zone 2-8 are just contact loops, they do not supply power. Zone 1 supplys power, but is for 2 wire smokes.
2.)Contacts are not normally polarity sensitive, but if you are using a 5v water sensor the zone must supply power, or you will need a 12v relay. http://www.grisk.com/specialty/pdf/2...structions.pdf
3.)EOLR are to detect a short on a zone. you should use them to supervise the wire, though. Being a N/O if the wire is accidentally cut, then it will still show normal. With a resistor in parallel with the circuit, you will get a trouble if the wire is cut. ***THIS IS A NORMALLY OPEN ZONE , IF USING MORE THAN ONE SENSOR ON THE ZONE, THEY MUST BE WIRED IN SERIES[/B][/B]
4.)This is the amount of time before a trip alerts the alarm.
5.)Report code: enter 10 10 for contact ID, and program the zone type as 07 24hr audible or 08 24hr aux.

****If ADT allows you to do this, they will need to define this zone as a flood alert, with the correct Global Link in MasterMind, without this information, they will not know how to respond. Keep in mind ADT and many other alarm companies treat UNDEFINED signals as a burglar alarm.

Last edited by kcxj; 01-08-08 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-08-08, 11:56 AM
S
Originally Posted by kcxj View Post
***THIS IS A NORMALLY OPEN ZONE , IF USING MORE THAN ONE SENSOR ON THE ZONE, THEY MUST BE WIRED IN SERIES
Perhaps I am confused on some basic things I thought I understood, or explained myself badly. I have two water sensors that are going to be in two different areas that I intend to put on the same zone. I would like the closing of either one of these normally open sensors to trigger the alarm. I thought that to do this I would wire them in parallel so that if either one closes it completes the circuit and triggers the panel. If wired in series wouldn't both water sensors have to close before the alarm triggered? Perhaps my basic understanding is flawed somehow.

Old 01-08-08, 02:32 PM
Normally closed sensors are wired in parallel. Normally open sensors are wired in series. If you wire more than one Normally Open sensors together in parallel, they will both need to trip to close the loop. Also, you will need the 12v relay, or wire to zone 1.

Old 01-08-08, 02:39 PM
Also, if you use the relay, you will use a n/c zone. You may want to use 12v 4 wire detectors, these are normally closed devices (wired in parallel) and get power from the panel.

Good luck

Old 01-08-08, 06:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Umm, KCXJ, you got your basic circuits backward.

Normally closed loops are a series circuit, and any resistors go anywhere in the series line. Normally open loops are a parallel circuit, and the resistor is needed in parallel with the normally open contacts. This assumes systems that require resistor supervision for the alarm loops.

If you are using the GRI device, it works with any voltage from 5 to 24. The relay is your actual triggering device, and the GRI device is the switch for activating the relay.

You can, in fact, run two of them in parallel to trip a single relay, and you can configure the relay to the zone in either NO or NC configuration.

The best zone type for this purpose on a V20p is type 08 (24 hour
Auxillary zone)

Last edited by MrRonFL; 01-08-08 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 01:33 PM
Brain fart