Alarm.com - any feedback appreciated

Old 02-27-08, 07:20 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Alarm.com - any feedback appreciated

I am considering switching from my current standard phone service to a VOIP service like Vonage, etc. My problem is I also have a security system (ADT). I've heard of the problems and additional setups needed in order to get VOIP to work correctly with a security system. I'm not very confident on setting this up and jumping through the necessary hoops myself to make it work so I've looked into another option. That option is a security company called Alarm.com. Alarm.com claims their security system will work with VOIP phone systems like Vonage. Vonage even trumps up Alarm.com on their website. Alarm.com evidently works because everything is wireless.

I'm a little hesitant to switch everything over though because I really don't know much about Alarm.com. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad), feedback, information on Alarm.com and their systems and services. I would really appreciate hearing anything that anyone has to offer. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-08, 11:44 AM
G
Originally Posted by Voyzey View Post
I am considering switching from my current standard phone service to a VOIP service like Vonage, etc. My problem is I also have a security system (ADT). I've heard of the problems and additional setups needed in order to get VOIP to work correctly with a security system. I'm not very confident on setting this up and jumping through the necessary hoops myself to make it work so I've looked into another option. That option is a security company called Alarm.com. Alarm.com claims their security system will work with VOIP phone systems like Vonage. Vonage even trumps up Alarm.com on their website. Alarm.com evidently works because everything is wireless.

I'm a little hesitant to switch everything over though because I really don't know much about Alarm.com. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad), feedback, information on Alarm.com and their systems and services. I would really appreciate hearing anything that anyone has to offer. Thank you!

First question we need answered is what system do you currently have? Alarm.Com only works with GE panels. These are Simon, Simon Xt, Concord, and any of the NetworX panels.

If you have one of these, Alarm.com is an attractive option depending on what you want. Good news is that Alarm.Com now is available with the GSM radio (NetworX also) which provides much better coverage than previous radios and you do not need a land line (it's wireless, obviously). You can keep it as simple as just cell back up, or as sophisticated as remote control of your system, like web, pda, email... (Arm/disarm, history buffer, light control, etc) Pricing varies depending on what you want. Catch is that this is really not a DIY product. You need to go through an authorized Alarm.Com dealer to set this up.

Old 02-27-08, 01:18 PM
The company I work for is a dealer for alarm.com and Honeywell's Total Connect. Both services are similar in the fact that the both use wireless cellular for alarm reporting and notifications. Alarm.com is more user friendly, but Total Connect has more flexibility. For example, not only can I arm/disarm my Honeywell system from the web, but also with text messaging. Additionally, with Total Connect you also use an alarmnetIGSM for triple redundancy--Phone, IP, GSM or, IP, GSM.
What model system do you have now? If you have a Honeywell system with Honeywell wireless devices, it would be much simpler and more affordable to go with the Honeywell option. If you have a GE system with GE wireless, alarm.com may be a better option. Post back with more information.

Old 02-27-08, 02:33 PM
V
Smile Further information...

Thank you both for your helpful replies and insight. Sorry if I don't explain this well but I'll do my best. I have an ADT security system in my home. It's the one they installed 10 years when I moved in. It's a simple hard-wired system. I have sensors in both my front and back door as well as a motion sensor in the main entry room. They keypad is hard-wired and is attached to the wall in the main entry room as well. Not sure what type of keypad or system I have though. Is there a way to find a model name or number? I don't see any data/info on there.

I'm guessing I would have to get a whole new system if I go the wireless route, right? I hope that helps some.

Thanks!

Old 02-27-08, 05:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
The quality of the VOIP systems has gotten better, and there have been fewer issues with the data transmission on the better quality systems.

It's not as complicated as it sounds. Basically, you are substituting the VOIP adaptor for your telco. To make the alarm work correctly, you just need to make sure that the dialtone from the adaptor goes into the alarm panel first, then feeds the rest of the house lines.

Take a look at the link concerning RJ-31x jack connections in FAQ for this topic, and it should make a bit more sense.

Old 02-27-08, 05:52 PM
With you having a hardwired system, you could replace the Panel and keypad and add the cellular dialer. Since you do not have any wireless devices, you could use GE or Honeywell. Expect to pay around $300 for a dealer or contractor to do the work.
As Mr. RonFL pointed out, some VOIP providers have gotten better. The digital phone providers through the cable providers are decent, but they are not as reliable as a traditional landline. Most likely, you could have your existing system configured to work with the VOIP, but I would strongly suggest you add a cellular backup, so that when the phone goes out, you can still be monitored. You could have ADT or another contractor configure your system for the VOIP and add a cellular backup. ADT charges $249 for the TG4 cellular dialer and $12 a month for cell-backup. You could of course have this done more affordably through someone else.

Old 02-27-08, 06:03 PM
V
Smile Thank you!

Wow, thank you for your help! You really know your stuff!!! I appreciate it!!! Just have to make some calls now to get it set up! Thank you again!!!

Old 02-27-08, 06:27 PM
G
Originally Posted by kcxj View Post
The company I work for is a dealer for alarm.com and Honeywell's Total Connect. Both services are similar in the fact that the both use wireless cellular for alarm reporting and notifications. Alarm.com is more user friendly, but Total Connect has more flexibility. For example, not only can I arm/disarm my Honeywell system from the web, but also with text messaging. Additionally, with Total Connect you also use an alarmnetIGSM for triple redundancy--Phone, IP, GSM or, IP, GSM.
What model system do you have now? If you have a Honeywell system with Honeywell wireless devices, it would be much simpler and more affordable to go with the Honeywell option. If you have a GE system with GE wireless, alarm.com may be a better option. Post back with more information.

Alarm.Com now offers pda,blackberry arm disarm...

Old 02-27-08, 06:44 PM
V
Smile Keeps getting better!

Thank you again! This keeps getting better and better and ...!!!

Great! Thank you again!