GE Concord 4 and no phone line (GSM only?)

Old 03-14-08, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Concord 4 and no phone line (GSM only?)

Hi,
so I've been trying to figure this out, with no luck.
I want to install a Concord 4 in our home, but we have no phone line. Can I use either the GE GSM module or the Uplink AnyNet as the "reporter" for the Concord? Or does it require a phone line?
Thanks for the help!
David

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-08, 01:49 PM
GSM...Don't need a phone line...

Someone else will chime in on the Uplink...

Old 03-18-08, 10:54 AM
Thanks, I talked to a GE rep and the Concord 4 can be used with AnyNet too without a phoneline.
Thanks!

Old 03-18-08, 12:09 PM
Does anyone know of a GSM device that lets you use a prepaid SIM card and works with the Concord 4? Seems like all the GSM options cost $20-25/month for monitoring on top of $$$$ for the GSM module. I suspect that the cost of a prepaid SIM for the occasional airtime + any of the $9/mo alarm monitoring services would be a lot more cost effective in the long run.

Old 03-18-08, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by tomdav View Post
Does anyone know of a GSM device that lets you use a prepaid SIM card and works with the Concord 4? Seems like all the GSM options cost $20-25/month for monitoring on top of $$$$ for the GSM module. I suspect that the cost of a prepaid SIM for the occasional airtime + any of the $9/mo alarm monitoring services would be a lot more cost effective in the long run.
Nextalarm only charges 8 or 9 more a month for having a GSM connection. Also, Uplink's 1650 GSM acts as if it were an analog phoneline, so I'm not sure if you still need to pay the GSM surcharge with that one?

Old 03-18-08, 01:03 PM
Right, $12/month for monitoring + $9 more a month = $21/month total. That's pretty pricey IMO. A pre-paid SIM doesn't cost very much and unless the panel is dialing out a lot it's probably going to cost less than a couple bucks a month in airtime. If you go with AlarmRelay, OccuSafe, AlarmNet, etc. phone monitoring is only $9/month, so if a prepaid SIM costs an extra ~$2/month that's $11/month total or half the cost of monitoring if you are locked into a proprietary GSM service (or worse, $25/month for alarm.com which is ridiculous IMO unless you want all the bells/whistles as opposed to just alarm monitoring).

Old 03-18-08, 01:08 PM
Right, $12/month for monitoring + $9 more a month = $21/month total. That's pretty pricey IMO. A pre-paid SIM doesn't cost very much and unless the panel is dialing out a lot it's probably going to cost less than a couple bucks a month in airtime. If you go with AlarmRelay, OccuSafe, AlarmNet, etc. phone monitoring is only $9/month, so if a prepaid SIM costs an extra ~$2/month that's $11/month total or half the cost of monitoring if you are locked into a proprietary GSM service (or worse, $25/month for alarm.com which is ridiculous IMO).
right, misread that the $21 was for both.
Just talked to nextalarm, they charge 7.50 for the GSM monitoring, so it'd be 16.50 a month for nextalarm (if they're still at $9)

Here's my question for doing your own SIM card, how would you hook it up?

Old 03-18-08, 01:17 PM
I think you hook it up to your panel just like you hook up a land line. The only difference is you're using a cellular phone. I have to believe there are GSM modules out there like this, or adapters that allow you to use your home wiring connected to a cell phone to dial out.

Old 03-18-08, 02:08 PM
I think you hook it up to your panel just like you hook up a land line. The only difference is you're using a cellular phone. I have to believe there are GSM modules out there like this, or adapters that allow you to use your home wiring connected to a cell phone to dial out.
Have you seen anything like this?
Or does anyone else know if it exists?

Old 03-18-08, 03:31 PM
I take that back. After doing some research on this it would appear you can't just plug into a cell communicator because cellular networks use compression algorithms which can mess up analog data.

One option I am looking into is CellSocket. They claim it "will work with devices that use DTMF to transmit information such as various makes of security alarm systems." The Concord spec sheet says DTMF is supported. An added bonus if you install a Concord phone/voice module is the ability to use a cordless phone as a roaming keypad instead of having to wire additional keypads around the house.

http://www.coolproductz.com/cellsocket.htm

Last edited by tomdav; 03-18-08 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 03:35 PM
OK, did some more research. I guess I was mistaken about the cost of a pre-paid SIM. The cheapest I could find is $90/year (Walmart / AT&T prepaid 400 minutes - good for 1 year) which translates to $7.50/month. And then you need an unlocked phone (or dialer). So probably not worth going that route.

BTW, NextAlarm is $12/month for broadband monitoring (they upped their price a while back). So with cell backup that's comes to $19.50/month. I think I may just go internet only and skip the cell backup.

Last edited by tomdav; 03-18-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-25-08, 10:08 PM
David, not sure if you've made a decision yet but here's a couple more options to consider:

1) Check out the wireless gateway module if you're planning to go with alarm.com. Might be less expensive than the GSM module if you have coverage in your area. Also, as noted in that thread, SafeMart might offer more reasonable prices for the module/monitoring than you might find elsewhere.

2) If you don't need all the bells and whistles of alarm.com, check out the DSC GS3055-I. This seller is offering $15/mo airtime & monitoring with it (the cheapest I've seen anywhere for cell monitoring).

Old 03-25-08, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info.
I think I decided to go with the powermax and next alarm, as I'll only be securing a 2 bedroom apartment, not a full house, so I don't need all of the Concord 4's bells and whistles.
Thanks!
David

Old 03-26-08, 07:55 AM
David, not sure if you've made a decision yet but here's a couple more options to consider:

1) Check out the wireless gateway module if you're planning to go with alarm.com. Might be less expensive than the GSM module if you have coverage in your area. Also, as noted in that thread, SafeMart might offer more reasonable prices for the module/monitoring than you might find elsewhere.

2) If you don't need all the bells and whistles of alarm.com, check out the DSC GS3055-I. This seller is offering $15/mo airtime & monitoring with it (the cheapest I've seen anywhere for cell monitoring).
GSM and Gateway "should" be the same price...More features on the GSM (mostly on the installer website)

Old 03-26-08, 05:57 PM
The cheapest I could find for the GSM module was $199 from safemart.com ($299 - $100 rebate w/ activation). They wouldn't budge on price. However, I didn't have any problem getting them to match the price of the Gateway module I saw for $90 on ebay. I suspect there is a glut of Gateway modules right now so they can be had for much cheaper.

Just curious, what extra features does the GSM module have?

Old 03-26-08, 06:12 PM
The Uplink AnyNet is on sale through the end of the month here for $99.95:
http://www.home-technology-store.com...y/L3-1500.aspx
use coupon code: gsmsecurity to get the $100 off

However, I had a horrible experience with their customer service, they are responsive, but rude imho..

Old 03-26-08, 09:21 PM
The cheapest I could find for the GSM module was $199 from safemart.com ($299 - $100 rebate w/ activation). They wouldn't budge on price. However, I didn't have any problem getting them to match the price of the Gateway module I saw for $90 on ebay. I suspect there is a glut of Gateway modules right now so they can be had for much cheaper.

Just curious, what extra features does the GSM module have?
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Gateway module discontinued in the near future...Really no need for it now that the GSM's available.

Via the dealer website and a GSM you can program sensor text, delete sensors, silence trouble beeps, modify entry/exit delay times, etc. Not much difference on the customer website between the two...

Old 03-01-13, 03:49 PM
Exclamation

By the way, it seems that now there is another option to use CDMA based cellular gateway instead of using the GSM cellular gateway, which seems to emit lower RF radiation... Does anyone here has any experience about this? Which CDMA cellular gateway that is available for GE Concord 4?? Many thanks!

For health issues between GSM and CDMA, see:
Radiation Risk to Humans Differs Between GSM and CDMA Cell Phone Technology, Says UC Berkeley

Old 03-01-13, 04:14 PM
Check out the HAI c3, this is a cellular dialer designed to work with alarm systems and can be used to connect to your house phones to make calls. Simply use your own SIM card.