DSC PC3000 erroneous communication trouble indication

Old 03-19-08, 10:03 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC PC3000 erroneous communication trouble indication

When I disarm the PC3000 System, the yellow trouble light on the keypad comes on. Pressing *-2 turns on the zone 5 light which indicates "Unsuccessful communication attempt with monitoring station." Pressing # turns off the trouble light but after a few minutes it comes on again and the keypad emits a recurring double beep. Pressing # again seems to turn off the double beep until the system is rearmed/disarmed. Also, when the system is armed, eventually the double beep is heard again (without the trouble light) and pressing # turns off the double beep. I have contacted the alarm company and they tell me that they are registering both the arming and disarming signals. Thus it seems as though the trouble indication is spurious, but it is still disconcerting. Is there a fix for this (other than replacing the complete security system, which is what the monitoring company would really like to do)?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
If the system is not monitored/connected to a phone line, if you have the installer code, you go into programming and turn off the dialer and phone line monitor features:

Go to program: * 8 [installer code] (the default is 3000)

enter 18
press 1 to turn on option 1 (disable the dialer)
press #
enter 19
press 7 to turn on option 7 (disable phone line monitor)
press # until you exit programming mode

Old 03-19-08, 05:05 PM
V
Thanks for responding, MrRonFL. The system is monitored/connected to a phone line, and I want to continue having it monitored. Does the action you recommend leave it monitored?

Old 03-20-08, 04:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are getting the trouble you describe, then the system is not successfully connecting to the monitoring receiver in both directions.

Has anything about your telephone system been changed recently? They may be getting the signals, but your system is apparently not getting the "kiss off" signal that acknowledges the transmission.

Old 03-21-08, 11:45 AM
V
Originally Posted by MrRonFL View Post
If you are getting the trouble you describe, then the system is not successfully connecting to the monitoring receiver in both directions.

Has anything about your telephone system been changed recently? They may be getting the signals, but your system is apparently not getting the "kiss off" signal that acknowledges the transmission.
No changes in-house. We actually were away for two weeks, before which there was no problem. It appeared for the first time when I disarmed the system upon arrival home after the two-week absence.

I presume that the monitoring company is issuing the "kiss-off" signal but that my system is not detecting it. Otherwise the monitoring company would have many complaints from other subscribers and would have fixed any problem at their end.

Old 03-21-08, 03:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can try calling your monitoring center, put the system on test and then deliberately send some alarms. It may have been simply a fluke and a bad connection when you tried it before.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to simply power cycle the system.

The PC 3000 is an older system, relatively speaking, it's not beyond possiblility that this is the first sign of failing hardware.

Old 03-27-08, 09:18 AM
V
You can try calling your monitoring center, put the system on test and then deliberately send some alarms. It may have been simply a fluke and a bad connection when you tried it before.

The PC 3000 is an older system, relatively speaking, it's not beyond possiblility that this is the first sign of failing hardware.
Many thanks for your suggestions. It is, as you say, a relatively old system. The alarm company has been wanting to replace it for several years on that basis alone, but at least now there is a reason other than old age.

I guess we can close this thread. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-08, 03:51 PM
V

Today I power-cycled the system and it seems to have worked! Thanks again for all your help.