Help installating an old alarm Siren to new XP-600 Alarm Panel

Old 04-08-08, 03:21 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installating an old alarm Siren to new XP-600 Alarm Panel

Hi All,

First time post, so please excuse any mistakes or errors. I currently have an old (SG II) wireless Alarm installed in the house.

Current Alarm Accessories

1 x Control panel, 2 x PIR (wireless), 1 x Siren (wired)
SIREN wiring: 6 wires are going out of the Control panel. 2 x Tamper, 2 x Siren and 2 x Strobe. (as printed on the PCB of the Control panel).

Please correct me if the below 3 points are incorrect.
1. I sort of understand that the 2 x Tamper wires of the old siren is for security reasons, that is if someone cuts the siren wires then the alarm goes off.
2. 2 x Siren wires are to power the siren and trigger the alarm.
3. 2 x Strobe wires are for the light near the siren.

NEW XP600 Alarm
I have recently bought a XP600 Control panel+keypad only as i have other accessories. According to the installation manual and wiring diagram of the XP600 which is on the control panel, their are 2 outputs connections for the Siren.

http://www.protectionone.com/manuals...00-install.pdf

Please refer to the above link for the wiring diagram which is on PAGE 27. The wiring diagram is for XP400, but the panel of XP400 and XP600 are almost the same.

Mainly referring to the ports BELL (10) and GND (11).

NOTE: I have tried paralleling both the siren and strobe wires to the 10 (Bell) and 11 (GND) terminals. But everytime i trigger the alarm, only the strobe (light) keeps flashing.

My question are:
1. As the old (wireless) alarm has the 6 outputs to the siren and the XP600 alarm has only 2 inputs (BELL + GND), how can i connect my current siren to the XP600 alarm?
2. Is it possible to connect the strobe to the XP600 alarm? If yes, then how and where should i connect it?

Please help!. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-08, 08:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
You have to check the siren. Some are speakers, and the output of your old panel may have been acting as the siren driver. The Output of the new system is 12vdc, which will not do anything for a speaker without adding a siren driver card.

(in general, a siren will have a watts rating on it, and a speaker will be marked in Ohms).

A quick and dirty test is to wire it to an audio output. If you hear music then you need a driver card.