ADT Alarm switch

Old 04-27-08, 10:38 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ADT Alarm switch

One of my "zones" an garage exit door has the standard hard wired door magnet and switch in the door frame. I rarely use the door, however, I noticed that the switch appears to be "stuck closed" for lack of a better term.

It doesn't show up as a fault on the key pad if the door is open when I arm the system. Is this a panel problem, or something I can tweak out in the switch?

Old 04-27-08, 10:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
This happens with contacts that don't get operated for long periods of time. That's one reason the manuals all tell you to test your zones once a month or so.

Give the contact a couple of sharp whacks with the handle of a screwdriver. This will often free the stuck reed switch, but you will still need to replace it. Once they start sticking like this, they are on borrowed time and _will_ stick again.

You don't need any special ADT part for a hardwired switch. It's just a switch. Get one the same size and type.

Old 04-27-08, 11:17 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: ADT Door switch sticking

I just want to say how please I am at the response I received from the stuck switch. I did exactly what was suggested and it "unfroze" and reads on my keypad.........ADT phone technicians were hard selling me on sending out a Tech for $200 bucks and would give no advice or suggestions...........

To bad for them.........

Old 04-27-08, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You will still want to replace the contact. Once they start doing this, they are on borrowed time. Basically, the teeny strip of spring metal inside looses it's springiness.

Places like Radio Shack still carry them, otherwise, most security dealers will sell them to you over the counter. The hard part is if it's one of the little flush mount type that goes into the door, they can be a pain to pry out of the doorframe. You want the type that have the screw terminals, they are a much better choice for this type of repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: