Rats Chewed Through Alarm Wiring!

Old 04-21-08, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rats Chewed Through Alarm Wiring!

Recently, we had a couple of rats in our attic that decided to make a meal of our alarm wiring. Let me tell ya, itís kind of wild when the alarm goes off at 2 in the morning and itís not a crook.

All told, I lost the functionality of two window sensors in two separate parts of the house (two separate zones.) I'm assuming that the rats ate through the wires that ran to the sensors. But of course, I could be wrong.

Now that Iíve dispatched the rats to rat heaven, Iíd like to go up in the attic and try and fix the faulty wiring. So Iím wondering, does anyone know of a foolproof way to find the faulty wires?

Iíve been up in the attic and thereís quite a bit of wiring up there. Iím thinking with a multimeter and some diligent searching, I may be able to trace the wires and solve the problem. Any advice from you professionals out there would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-08, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Man, that's a serious pain in the neck.

The fastest way is to use a tone generator and tracer. They are kinda pricey to buy for a single project, so if you know anyone who does telecom or network work who will let you borrow their set, that's the way to go.

Otherwise, the only other way is to start at the edge of the attic closest to the affected zones and hand over hand the wiring back towards the homerun.

Old 04-22-08, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I was afraid of that. And dang, it's getting hot here in Dallas. I'm guessing I'm going to lose some weight up in the attic before this is all said and done. I'll give it my best shot, and if I can't get our house back to normal, I guess I'll call in a pro.

So...any idea what the pros charge to diagnose something like this? Should I break out the pot-o-gold?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-22-08, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Our neck of the woods runs in the 80 to 125 per hour is typical. The mileage will vary by region.

Old 04-27-08, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all your help!