Help with 6150RF Keypad

Old 04-22-08, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with 6150RF Keypad

I am a newbie but have learned a lot through this forum.

I have a Vista 20P with one keypad - a 6150RF. I have purchased a 5804 keyfob as I want the ability to arm/disarm the system from the upstairs bedroom. Although the keypad has RF, there are no wireless devices on the system.

I want to program the keyfob from the existing keypad. Since I do not plan on any more enhancements, I do not want to spend the money on a 6160 keypad.

The first issue is that the installer has locked out programming by exiting with a *98. When I try to enter programming using installercode +8+0+0, I get a long beep. I understand that the only way I can get to programming is to enter * and # within 50 seconds of powering down/up. Can someone please tell me the proper sequence of powering down/up and if I should be concerned about an alarm being sent to the monitoring company? Also, if I get into programming and simply exit with a *99, will I then be able to get into programming without powering down the next time?

Also, assuming that I get into programming, can someone please help with programming "blind" for the new keyfob? I would appreciate a step by step instruction for dummies. The default settings for the buttons on the keyfob are fine with me.

Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-08, 07:43 AM
You can program the fob locally into the 6150RF without getting into programming. It involves tripping the tamper on the keypad, by removing the unit from the mounting plate, then holding down 1+3. You should see flashing oo and --, for step by step instructions on adding the fob, look at the 6150RF manual.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-08, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. A couple of questions:

- when you say "trip the tamper" is that the same as removing the keypad from the mounting plate?

- When I look at the instructions for the 6150RF, Step 5 says that I need to program in a 4 digit user code and the user code must match what's programmed into the control panel. How do I do this since I don't know if any user code was ever programmed into the panel?

Old 04-22-08, 03:10 PM
Yes, to trip the tamper, just remove the KP from the backplate. You will need to have a user code programmed to be assigned to the keyfob, it can be the master code or a secondary code. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MASTER CODE--
ENTER: Installer code + [802] + [new 4 digit master code] + [new 4 digit master code]

Old 04-22-08, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the help.

Looks like I have created another problem. As I removed the kp from the backplate, some of the wires got pulled out and the kp went dead. I got the correct wiring from the manual and put the kp back on the backplate.

Now the kp works fine as far as arming and disarming is concerned, but has a "CHECK 100" flashing. Help! I did not even get into the programming so I am not sure what I could have done.

From what I have read briefly, the message is a missing wireless device the system is expecting? Could this be the system issuing the message because the 6150RF was missing for 10 minutes? How do I reset this?

I am now leery of working on getting the keyfob working until I resolve the Check 100 message.

Old 04-23-08, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Ademco panels don't automatically clear tampers and troubles. You have to enter any user or installer code + 1 (off) to clear the trouble.

It sounds like the wires you were left with were kinda short, if they pulled out when you tried to release the face of the keypad from the base.

Do you have the install manuals for your keypad and system?
It's not very difficult to do what you want, but there are enough steps involved that you really need to be able to look at the reference material, and we can help you with the parts that are too technical and/or confusing.

Old 04-23-08, 07:21 AM
Thanks. I really appreciate forums like this where people are willing to share their knowledge and help.

I am not sure whether the wires were short or I was just careless. In any case, after the initial scare, I was able to put the wires back. I am not sure if it's something I did, but after I disarmed the system this morning, the Check 100 cleared. Perhaps I just did not have the keypad firmly seated against the back.

I do have the 6150RF manual, and although mechanically not talented, I am OK with programming if I knew the steps.

My understanding is that I get into local programming by pressing 1/3 together after removing the kp from the backing. Enter "8" and any button on the keyfob to enroll the serial number. Then enter "2" and a user code (I assume the master code is fine for this?) and then exit out. Replace the kp on the backing and the keyfob should now work with the default key settings.

Is this right?

Old 04-23-08, 12:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Yup, that should do the trick. Saves you the headache of trying to do this without the command prompts for regular zone programming.

Old 04-24-08, 06:41 PM
Thanks! Just did it and it works like a charm. Appreciate the help.

Having accomplished that, I would like to add a wireless keypad in the master bedroom. Any suggestions on how to program and get one working?