Alarm relay wiring help

Old 04-23-08, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alarm relay wiring help

I have a mental block concerning how to wire a relay to activate (or deactivate) a 110V appliance. My panel is a Vista 20-P with a 4204 relay board (among other things). I'm very familiar with the programming aspect and I know it can be done with X10 but I want to do some other creative things with the relays. Do I have to have a 12 volt electrical contactor to make it happen? I don't believe I can simply run a hot leg through the relay because the relay contacts are only rated for 2.5 amps max. That won't allow me to even run my 3.6 amp aux power through them (will it?). I'm just stumped on the relays...
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-08, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
The trick with working with high voltage and high current switching is that you have to use the system relay to trigger a more robust relay like a PAM-2 or PAM-4 (7 and 10 amp capacity, respectively)

http://www.ap-c.com/assets/pdf/produ...PAM_Series.pdf

You don't want 110v even in the system enclosure if you can help it. You send the 12v control voltage out to the remote relay.

You can run the system Aux power through the 4204 relays. Even though the system has 3.6 amps available, close to half of that capacity is consumed by the system itself, so there will never be more than about 2 amps on any single output (the panel will simply shut itself down if you overload the power supply).

Old 04-23-08, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relay Wiring

Thanks for the quick reply MrRon. So it seems I'll need to energize a PAM relay with my 4204 relay. I'll work on that. To clarify about my 3.6 amp aux power... I have a separate Altronics aux power board - it's not the system aux. That is what I was questioning if I could run it directly through the 4204 relay.

Old 04-23-08, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
You are still ok with the power supply. The limit is the current that can be drawn through the relay contact, not the potential current of the source. As long as the _load_ you are switching is less than 2.5 amps, you are fine.