Help installing a 5878

Old 04-25-08, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installing a 5878

I have a Vista 20P with a 6150RF keypad. Thanks to the help of the people on this forum, I recently programmed and activated a 5804 keyfob that is programmed locally to the 6150RF.

I am now thinking about adding a 5878 keypad in the master bedroom. I believe that this will work with a 6150RF keypad and the programming of the buttons is exactly like programming the 5804.

I have only thing I am not sure about. Since this is a bidirectional device, I need to program a house ID in the 5878 and the 6150RF:

(a) I can program the same house id in the 6150RF and the 5878 and make the house ID source in the 6150 as "local". Will this work? Since I do not know the house ID in the panel, and it may not be the same in the 6150RF and the panel, will it impact the working of the 6150RF? I assume that it will have no impact on the 5804 keyfob.

(b) I can program the house id in the 6150RF to be the same as the panel, and set the house ID source to "system". If this is what I need to do, how do I figure out what the house ID is set to in the panel. Please bear in mind that I do not have an alpha keypad, and the installer locked me out of the programming from the 6150RF (exited with *98?).

I appreciate any help on the right way to do this. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-08, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If you have had no bidirectional devices before, or any x-10 type devices, the odds are that the panel house code is not set at all, so there is nothing to match.

Use the 6150RF settings. Unless they did something really unusual with this system it should work just fine.

Old 04-25-08, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Mr. Ron.

I am pretty sure from the installer manual that the house code is not set. So, what you are saying is that I should set the code in the 6150RF and set the source to "local"?

Old 04-25-08, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you apparantly cannot get into the system programming, that is your only real choice.

Old 04-25-08, 05:28 PM
Thanks again.

I could power down and up to get into system programming. Is there is any advantage to programming it into the panel VS the 6150RF?

Also, if I power down and up, will it send an alarm to the monitoring center?

Old 04-25-08, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as you don't mis-time the * + # keypress, it won't send any alarms. Just unplug the phone line while you are working, to be safe.

For this particular widgit, it doesn't really matter whether you route it through the 6150RF or throught the main panel programming. The RF keypad just passes the information on to the keypad bus.

It is a good idea to get into programming, extract the installer code and exit with *99 just to remove that lockout. Just be aware that there are settings that the installer could have used that will lockout even the * + # trick.

Old 05-05-08, 08:45 AM
I received the 5878 keypad and installed it this weekend. A couple of minor issues:

I installed it locally to the 6150RF. For some reason the 6150RF is no longer going into programming mode by pressing 1/3 after removing the keypad from the backing. It flashed "dE" instead of "00 and "--". The only way to get into programming mode was removing and putting back the red wire (power). I am not sure what happened, but I got a call from the monitoring service that they received a silent alarm and called the cops. Although they canceled this, of course the cops were obligated to come and check.

Although almost everything is working as expected, the 6150RF keypad no longer reports which door/window is open. So, for example, when I opened the door leading to the garage that is right next to the keypad, it used to say "02" and "Not Ready". Now it simply says "Not Ready". Also, although the arming and disarming is working fine from the 5878, the LED does not light to indicate an armed status.

Mr. Ron, I would appreciate your thoughts on the above issues (why the 6150RF will not go into program mode, what triggers the silent alarm, why the keypad has stopped reporting complete details, and why the LED on the 5878 won't work).

Thanks as usual!

Old 05-05-08, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remember, that switch on the back of the keypad is a _tamper_ switch, and thus sends a tamper alarm to the monitoring center.
They are being a little aggressive in handling a tamper signal, bit I don't know what your monitoring contract looks like. (Did I mention unplugging the panel phone line before tinkering...?)

I'm not sure what the dE is. It's not on any of the display charts for either the keypad or the Vista 20p.

Could it be d-? In that case it's just starting with the wireless key editing prompt.

According to the user instructions for the 5878:
"The LED will flash green to indicate the unit has transmitted in Standard mode, or red to indicate it has transmitted
in High-Security mode."

It doesn't stay on.

Old 05-05-08, 06:21 PM
i think the de is the data wires need to be fliped maybe

Old 05-05-08, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmmm, I doubt that. Flipping the data wires gets you an OC on a Vista 20P.

I'm thinking that it may simply be a case of misinterpreting/misremembering the display.

Old 05-06-08, 09:40 AM
I think the data wires are fine - everything was OK before I installed the 5878 and I did not touch them.

Any thoughts on why the unit does not get into programming except via the power down/up? Also, what could I have done to stop the 6150RF from reporting which zone is "Not Ready"? Could this be a result of the keypad not being seated properly on the back? The reason I ask is that I thought I had fixed the reporting issue by re-seating the keypad but the problem is back again. The display clearly showed the zone number before I touched it, and also for a brief period after.

Makes sense on the LED not being lit - I was mistakenly assuming it was a bidirectional unit and would show when armed. And - yes - you did say to disconnect the phone line - lesson learned!

Thanks for the replies; please keep them coming.

Old 05-06-08, 09:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The current behavior of the display is the normal. If you look at your user manual, the standard is to have to press * to see what zones are open. The only time I've noticed ademco style systems showing the open zone is the seconds just after the zone opens, and when it's just _one_ zone open. There is no programming or command to make it do otherwise.

The tamper is also a latching alarm, but doesn't show on the keypad. You have to enter [code] + 0 to fully clear it, that might be the issue.

As far as the programming entry thing, I dunno.

I have the feeling that it might be something small that you are doing or not doing between the time you pop the back and the time you press 1 + 3. There really isn't any way for you to alter something as basic as the programming access behavior.

Old 05-08-08, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Mr. Ron.

You are right about the keypad behavior. When I push *, it shows the zone that is open. After that it shows the zone and "Not Ready" when someone walks past the motion detectors or opens another door. Not sure what the pattern is, but at some point it goes back to just showing "not ready" unless I push "*".

It is weird about it not going into programming. Even with the keypad still attached to the back, when I press 1 & 3, it now shows "dE" - previously it would show "Ad" and the keypad address.

In any case, everything seems to be functioning fine so I won't worry about it.

Thanks again for your help.