Strobe Light - Need help Connecting with PGM

Old 04-25-08, 10:41 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Strobe Light - Need help Connecting with PGM

I've done alot of reading and stumbled on a problem. I have a DSC 5010 setup with a wireless Key, zones are all hardwired and one keypad. I also have DSL2002.

I need to hookup the strobe light to the main panel, so when I'm outside and press the arm/disarm button on the wireless key I can see the strobe go off/on indicating the alarm has been armed or disarmed.

I know that the PGM connectors can help - what setup on the software side should I use?

Also I have smoke detectors in the house but they are not connected to alarm system as they are powered by 120V, can these be connected to the alarm system or I have to purchase different smoke detectors just for the alarm.

Thanks

Old 04-25-08, 03:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Residential grade smoke alarms generally cannot be connected to alarm panels. A few models sell a relay for the purpose that is triggered by the interconnect wire that makes all the smokes go off at once, but it's not a very good solution, in general (they are way to prone to false trips, for one thing). So if you want monitored smokes, you need to get system type smokes.

For the strobe thing:

Connect the strobe + power to aux power +
Connect the strobe - power to PGM 2

In the default configuration for these panels that output is already set to trigger for alarms and panics.

Old 04-25-08, 05:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrRonFL
Residential grade smoke alarms generally cannot be connected to alarm panels. A few models sell a relay for the purpose that is triggered by the interconnect wire that makes all the smokes go off at once, but it's not a very good solution, in general (they are way to prone to false trips, for one thing). So if you want monitored smokes, you need to get system type smokes.

For the strobe thing:

Connect the strobe + power to aux power +
Connect the strobe - power to PGM 2

In the default configuration for these panels that output is already set to trigger for alarms and panics.
thanks

I already have the strobe connected to the PGM and AUX connectors and it turns on when the alarm is set off. But I want the strobe to also turn on when I ARM or DISARM the system, is that possible?

Old 04-25-08, 05:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Hmmm, that's a bit trickier. The only way I know to do both functions without also sounding the siren is to use a 12vdc relay and both PGM outputs.

Disconnect the strobe - from the PGM output.

Connect the relay coil + to Aux +. Connect the coil - to both PGM 1 and PGM 2 using a jumper. Connect the strobe - to the NO contact on the relay. Connect the relay Common to AUX -.

Set PGM 1 to 08 (courtesy pulse)
Leave PGM 2 at 10 (Latched System Event)

"[08] Courtesy Pulse Upon arming the PGM output will activate for the duration of the exit delay plus two
minutes. Upon entry the PGM output will activate for the duration of the entry delay plus two minutes. Only one
courtesy pulse output may be programmed on a system."

That's as close to the behavior that you are trying to pull off as I can figure. You can _try_ doing it by just changing PGM 1 and putting a jumper between, but I seem to recall that these systems act oddly when as heavy a load as a strobe gets pulled across both PGM's at the same time. (Basically, they are just a switch to ground).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: