Motion sensors go into FAULT every time I walk past them.

Old 04-25-08, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motion sensors go into FAULT every time I walk past them.

Could someone please help me on what I am doing wrong. I have 2 motion sensors (on zone 4, and 5 ) respectively. And they both go into "fault" every time I walk by them.

This is when the panel is ****DISARMED READY TO ARM****.

I have Vista 20P (rev. 3) and 6160 Keypad.

Also, not sure if this is related or not but I am attempting to recycle the motion sensors from my hardwired system. They work as they turn red when I walk by but they are causing the alarm panel to say FAULT 04 and FAULT 05 whenever I walk by.

I have them programmed as Interior Follow (zone 10) partition 1 , NC , response time 1

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
"Fault" is the Honeywell/Ademco nomenclature for a zone that has been tripped. Other brands use phrases like "Open", "Active", etc.

It's not a bug it's a feature.

Old 04-26-08, 11:27 AM
Is there a way to stop it when I'm at home walking around my house I don't want the keypad to show "FAULT 04" every time I walk into a room?

P.S. MrRonFL are you the only guy in here! You answered some of my other questions too. hehe.

Old 04-26-08, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
If seeing the motion activate when you walk past it bothers you, just bypass the zone(s)

Old 04-26-08, 09:44 PM
actually i like to see the motion sensors little red light when I walk by (just lets me know they are still working). What I dont like is the "HIT * FOR FAULTS" on keypads every time I walk by a motion sensor.

How do you go about bypassing the zones (when I'm at home) if I must do that I will.

Thanks.

Old 04-27-08, 05:39 AM
To bypass a zone: CODE 6 ZONE NUMBER

Old 04-27-08, 09:08 AM
thanks grouchy. I was beginning to think I was sending private messages to MRRONFL coz he is the only one who ever responds on here.

But do I really have to bypass all my motions every time I'm at home? Seems like there should be a better way. I just don't want them to say "FAULT 04" for example when I walk past them. There has to be something easy that I am missing. My old alarm (brinks) I never had to do that the motions always went off when I was in room, yet the panel never showed alarm (i had bhs3000 I think ).

Thnx...

Old 04-27-08, 09:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you not wanted the motions to work at all?

It's normal for the panel to show a fault if someone is tripping the motion sensor, like Ron said.

Mine does the same thing, but I don't stare at the keypad everytime I walk into the sensors range...

It's just like you opening up a front door and the panel showing a fault for that door.

Old 04-27-08, 09:53 AM
nap
a little bit of tape over the readout will take care of this.

I'm sorry but I do not quite understand your concern. It shows this because it is designed to indicate when a sensor is "tripped". Since it appears there is no way to shut off the display (I don;t know and Mr Ron has said nothing to it), I would suggest merely covering up the display. Anything other than that would be essentially shutting off part of the system merely to avoid seeing the read out. Then, when you forget to reset the system before leaving or going to bed, well, that portion will provide you with no benefit.

Old 04-27-08, 10:01 AM
If it really is annoying I think you could configure a custom zone type. Read up on *182. I think the first entry would take care of it.

Old 04-27-08, 11:19 AM
Maybe its just a matter of getting used to the new system. Like I said I had brinks for over 3 yrs. and that panel (keypad) never displayed any faults (unless they were *actual* trouble reasons). I guess I just have to get used to seeing the hit * for faults on the panel. I just figured there was a way to have it when I'm at home not to display this (without going in and disabling the zones each and every time I'm at home).

Thanks for the help everyone. Nice to see some other people here besides MRRONFL (nothing wrong with him of course he offers a lot of help) just I like to hear some diff't views and voices.

Old 04-27-08, 11:29 AM
ADT semspr

Originally Posted by lordwafer View Post
thanks grouchy. I was beginning to think I was sending private messages to MRRONFL coz he is the only one who ever responds on here.

But do I really have to bypass all my motions every time I'm at home? Seems like there should be a better way. I just don't want them to say "FAULT 04" for example when I walk past them. There has to be something easy that I am missing. My old alarm (brinks) I never had to do that the motions always went off when I was in room, yet the panel never showed alarm (i had bhs3000 I think ).

Thnx...
i have an ADT system. One of my zones, a hardwired garage door sensor appears to be "stuck closed" and will not register on the keypad as a fault when the door is open. is this a switch problem or is it something I can easily fix?

Old 04-27-08, 11:35 AM
If I were you I'd fire up a new topic (do you know how to do this?), surely you would get some help on this. Sorry but I'm beginner and I don't know how to fix faults I can barely get my system to operate...Thanks to the help on here though I'm sort of on the right path I think.