Motion Sensor Floodlights with Inside Notification

Old 04-27-08, 11:22 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motion Sensor Floodlights with Inside Notification

Hi. First post here so hopefully things will work out. I have a storage building that is about 300' from my house. I have had a prowler twice this past week that I know of. Currently, there is no outside lighting around this area other than a security light about 100' from it, but it is shadowed by a barn that is between the 2. I want to install lighting, but want to catch this prowler first.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the outside motion sensor floodlights (PIR) and somehow get a notice/alarm in the house to let me know that something is breaking the beam. I was thinking something like taking the wires that lead to the lamps (120v) and connect them to something like a wireless transmitter and have a chime/bell receiver to go off in the house.

I just installed a Chamberlain Reporter wireless driveway alert at this building but am not happy with the results. It claims 1200' range but am having problems getting it to receive in my house 300' away. I only have reception in a couple of rooms and it is iffy. The sensor claims a 30' detection range but I am doing good to get 20'. I would love to get this straightened out and even love it better if I could incorporate my wall floodlights (motion sensor) into this alert. My floodlight sensor has a range of 70' from their sensor.

I hope you guys can see what I am getting at and can help me. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-08, 04:23 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
http://www.securitycamerasandmore.co...ROD&ProdID=504 is for sale at a number of places at various prices.

Old 04-28-08, 07:20 AM
B
Thanks. That would work, but they tell no specifics about it. They don't tell the range of it or anything such as that. I doubt it would reach the 300' + that I need. I was hoping there would be something that could simply plug into the lamp holder socket and transmit from there. Too bad I am not an inventor.

Old 04-28-08, 05:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Nope, most wireless devices that have that kind of range are going to be a little more expensive, and require a bit of wiring modification and a relay to do what you are after.

Old 05-04-08, 07:32 PM
X10 makes all sorts of Power Line Carrier devices. Assuming you power is on a common source between your home and shop they should work. They would basically send a signal to a chime in your house whenever the motion lights tripped.

Old 05-13-08, 07:14 AM
S
Innovonics makes a fairly inexpensive outdoor transmitter/receiver that can accomplish this. Take a look at their FA series.

http://www.inovonics.com/category.aspx?id=1812

Old 05-16-08, 07:57 AM
T
Originally Posted by SameBIG CHIEF View Post
X10 makes all sorts of Power Line Carrier devices. Assuming you power is on a common source between your home and shop they should work. They would basically send a signal to a chime in your house whenever the motion lights tripped.
x10 can work in this situation.. however one would have to get x10 fully functional within their house...

x10 is nice and cheap and works great (once you get it to that point)
I am using the x10 pr511 floodlight.. works great...

also go here and look as they have one with a camera too... you can hook it up to a vcr too....

http://www.x10.com/products/pr511_ed_4pk_0111_1002.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: