ademco system and voip

Old 04-29-08, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ademco system and voip

I have an ademco 5720 panel (I know it is a dinosaur) i just converted my phone lines over to voip i had it professionally installed so far alarm is working perfect i tested it 3 times so far and the monitoring company got the signal all 3 times. I got a battery backup for modem to keep phone lines going in a power outage. My question is if my alarm is armed and the cable signal goes out will the alarm go off? Does the alarm monitor the phone line to see if there is a dial tone?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 04:58 PM
Some panels can do a telephone line monitor, but you would be better off with cell backup. I just saw a customer that had a break in and the crooks cut the cable lines and all telco lines. Good news: she had cell backup, bad news: she didn't arm the system.

Old 04-29-08, 05:52 PM
Do any of you guys know if the 5720 panel does monitor phone the phone line? THe thing i don't want to happen is if at 3:00 Am the cable service cuts out and it trips the alarm off would this happen? I was looking inside the panel and saw the dialer it is a napco dd-1486 are you guys familar with it?

Also how come when i was testing my system the other day central station could not tell me which zone was violated they were just able to tell that it was a burgarily signal? doesn't the alarm normally send a signal of which zone has been violated?

Old 04-29-08, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
What the alarm systems monitor the line for is the presence of the telco voltage. The dialtone only becomes an issue if the system tries to dial and fails to get a line out.

Normally loss of telco is a trouble. Some system have an option to sound the siren if the phone line is cut while the system is armed. It's a programming option. I think your system doesn't have it.

Old 04-29-08, 06:33 PM
Many older systems only have one zone for burg and maybe a second for hold up and a third for fire. Alternatively, your system being connected to a seperate digital dialer may report alarms based on the bell circuit.

Old 04-29-08, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
The system the original poster has is one of Ademco's earlier wireless systems. The Dialer was a add on daughter card, if I remember right.

I'm amazed that he's still getting use of it. It has to be 16 to 18 years old at it's newest.