Will any strobe work with Ademco 20p Panel - And how to hook up please?

Old 05-01-08, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will any strobe work with Ademco 20p Panel - And how to hook up please?

Hi,Just wondering if I add a strobe light to my ademco 20p panel. How do you go about hooking it up? I just want the strobe to go off when my fire detectors go off. My fire detectors are currently on ZONE 1 (eol).

I realize the strobe will require power +/- just like the smokes. And then will the strobe also have 2 more places to connect wires (so a 4 wire 18 gauge would be fine , I have a roll of this). And where do the other 2 posts go to the 20p panel?

I do not have a strobe yet but was thinking of going with a WHEELOCK strobe model LSM 24... or something similar I don't need a sounder with the strobe because the smokes already have built-in sounders.

Thanks for your help....

p.s. here is the strobe I am thinking of adding. It actually looks like it only has 2 connectors on the back according to the pics there.... ??

http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-we...play.php?id=55

Last edited by lordwafer; 05-01-08 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added link for strobe
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-08, 08:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Nope, you are overcomplicating this to some extent. To have the strobe operate only with the fire output, you will need a relay output triggered by a fire alarm event. The relay will simply switch the 12volt power supplied by the Aux power from the panel. The wiring has nothing to do with the smoke alarm wiring other than the power originating on the same terminals.

You need to add up the current with the rest of the devices on your system, stobes can be power pigs.

Old 05-01-08, 09:12 PM
aahhh I see mronfl, here is what I am planning on running. I might be maxxed out on power already? Maybe you could advise me.

Ademco 20p panel
1. 2 - 6160 Keypads
2. 7 Smoke Detectors (they have 85 db sounders) systemsensor 2424at is model I believe
3. 4 Motion sensors
4. 1 strobe (well I was planning on adding one strobe)

also, not sure if this helps or not but I have a pretty good sized battery in the closet there its "12V , 7AH, 20 HR"

Do the numbers add up? Thanks.

Last edited by lordwafer; 05-01-08 at 09:22 PM. Reason: battery details.
Old 05-05-08, 06:32 PM
just think of this the 20p 12 volt system and the WHEELOCK strobe model LSM 24 needs 24 volts

Old 05-05-08, 07:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
I think that falls under "or something similar". Yes, he needs 12volt devices.

I am assuming that the smokes are system sensor 2412AT. Unless he's buying used/remaindered hardware, that's a discontinued model. The current model is 4WTA-B.

Ok a quick bit of math:
2 - 6160 Keypads @ 150mA each = 300mA
7 Smoke Detectors (they have 85 db sounders) systemsensor 2424at is model I believe (we'll use the 4WTA-B specs here...)
max alarm current = 35mA X 7 = 245mA

4 Motion sensors (The one I have handy draws 10mA max) = 40mA
1 strobe (well I was planning on adding one strobe)

Since I have the System Sensor database open we'll use their current production SR/SW model that draws 128mA at the 15cd setting.

Without adding the current draw for the regular system siren/sounder this adds up to 713mA. This is worst case numbers assuming all devices are in their most active mode.

The typical system siren pulls between 350 to 500mA (most are 450-480ma).

Since you have 600mA to work with, as you can see, you are bumping your head against the power supply limits. You can add an add-on power supply board, but the built in power supply would get maxed pretty quick.