Ademco Alarm System

Old 05-28-08, 03:01 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ademco Alarm System

Hello I moved into a home with Ademco Alarm system installed. Everytime I opened the door, a beep noise went off. Its been that way for one year. About 2 weeks ago, the beep is gone and when I close the door the "ready" light is no longer lit.

How can I fix this and make it "ready" again and make it beep so I can hear when somebody walks through the door?

-Any help would be greatly appreciated
-Sam

Old 05-28-08, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If no other changes (like replacing the door in question) have been made, the door contact has probably failed. They are quite easy to replace. Most doors use the 3/8" press fit type contacts like these: http://www.grisk.com/recessed/2020.htm

Sometimes they are hard to spot because of accumulated paint.

The thing to check to be sure is to take a refrigerator magnet and put it on the contact. If the zone closes, then the problem is that the magnet in the door isn't lining up anymore. Also, sometimes more than one door is on the same zone.

Old 05-28-08, 05:47 AM
T
I dont think its the door. Because after the noise disappeared, I was just playing around with the buttons on the keypad and I pressed something and the ready light was no longer lit. I definitely pressed something for it to get turned off but now I dont know how to set it.

Old 05-28-08, 10:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh, that's just a user function. Just websearch for your user manual using the phrase: "User Manual [system model]"

The command on nearly all Ademco design panels for the chime is [user code] + 9 (chime)

Old 05-28-08, 05:14 PM
T
I was never told the usercode. Is there any way to bypass this code?

Old 05-28-08, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How do you set/disarm the system without the user code?

If you haven't been doing this and actually do not have the code, you retrieve the installer code by doing the following, THEN using your manual, you can add/remove user codes.

Retrieving Installer code
Nearly all Ademco family (this includes First Alert, Security Link, and several ADT models) panels can retrieve the Installer code by disconnecting the battery, then the AC power. Wait a minute, then reconnect power in the opposite order. Within 50 seconds, on any keypad press * + # at the same time. Unless the system has had an installer lockout feature activated, the panel should go into program mode. The details by system will vary, but the programming section number that shows on the display will be the location for the installer code (on _most_ panels this will be 20). Key in # and the location number, and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time. Exit program mode using *99.

Old 05-28-08, 11:25 PM
T
Im not sure where the battery is. I have taken a picture of the inside:

I thought the round piece is the battery but it will not come off when I pull on it or try to turn it.

Old 05-29-08, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
_That_ is your _keypad_, it's just an interface.

The actual _alarm control_ box with the system battery is in a closet (normally the master). It will be a (normally) beige box about 16" square.

You might want to read the FAQ and other stickys for this forum before you damage your hardware.

Old 05-29-08, 12:13 PM
T
Oh I see. Alright I have done what HotinOKC mentioned earlier and my location for the installer code is 20. So I punched in [#] and then [20] and the display read back 01, 09, 06, 04.

So Im guessing that is my usercode. But how can I enable the chime now. Also, the ready light is now lit.

Last edited by timechange01; 05-29-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 02:52 PM
No, 1964 is the INSTALLER code, NOT the user code.

What Ademco alarm system is this? It should say on the main board in the big box. It will be like, Vista 10SE, Vista 20, etc.

To reset the code for the Vistas:

1964, 8, 2, new 4 digit master.

Once you have entered your new MASTER code, you can arm/disarm the whole system and turn CHIME on/off.

Old 05-29-08, 07:53 PM
T
Yes it is a Vista 10SE.

So I just pressed 1, 9, 6, 4, 8, 2, x, x, x, x

And then I turned the chime on and and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks very much for all the help

-Sam

Last edited by timechange01; 05-29-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 11:22 PM
T
I have also read through the manual and now know how to arm and disarm the system. I do have 1 more question though. On the control box, the previous owners wrote down the following zone codes

01 = front door
02 = tamper
10 = livingroom infrared
11 = bedroom infrared
12 = bedroom infrared
13 = side door

My question is, what exactly is "tamper"?

Old 05-30-08, 04:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Depends on who set up the system. Sometimes they wire the teleco wiring so that if the phone wire is cut it will set off an alarm, sometimes externally mounted siren enclosure has a tamper switch on the cover, sometimes the system enclosure has a tamper switch, sometimes motion detectors have a tamper switch.

Alarms are custom installations, there are few universals.

Old 05-30-08, 02:58 PM
T
Oh I see. On the display where it is supposed to display the zone code, it is showing "FC". How can I get rid of the FC?

Old 05-30-08, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by timechange01
Oh I see. On the display where it is supposed to display the zone code, it is showing "FC". How can I get rid of the FC?

It is trying to communicate with a monitoring station most likely. You will need to delete the stored phone #'s.

You might have to have MrRon explain.

Old 05-30-08, 10:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In programming mode enter *41* and *42*. This erases the telephone numbers and sets the panel to local mode.

Old 06-01-08, 02:41 AM
T
How do I enter programming mode. Just after entering my master code I am in programming mode? I appologize if this sounds like a stupid question.

Old 06-01-08, 11:27 AM
No.

Try entering 4112, 8, 0 -this should put you in programming.

In sequence, it should be like this:

4112, 8, 0, *41*, *42*

then *99 to exit programming

Old 06-05-08, 08:29 PM
T
Alright I have erased the telephone numbers. Everything looks good now. Thank you guys for all the help.

-Cheers

Old 10-30-08, 10:44 AM
S
Unhappy What if I accidently armed the system doing this.

Originally Posted by HotinOKC
How do you set/disarm the system without the user code?

If you haven't been doing this and actually do not have the code, you retrieve the installer code by doing the following, THEN using your manual, you can add/remove user codes.

Retrieving Installer code
Nearly all Ademco family (this includes First Alert, Security Link, and several ADT models) panels can retrieve the Installer code by disconnecting the battery, then the AC power. Wait a minute, then reconnect power in the opposite order. Within 50 seconds, on any keypad press * + # at the same time. Unless the system has had an installer lockout feature activated, the panel should go into program mode. The details by system will vary, but the programming section number that shows on the display will be the location for the installer code (on _most_ panels this will be 20). Key in # and the location number, and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time. Exit program mode using *99.
Hey HotinOKC, this worked for me as well apparently. I have the 10SE as well and I followed these instructions. It came up with a 20 and I pressed #20 which didn't seem to do anything so I hit *99 and then thought I should press #20 again, which the "2" engaged my alarm :O. So now if I try this same sequence it doesn't want to work. I am afraid that now that it is in alarm mode it doesn't want to let me reset it -- is that correct? If so, does the mean I have to call a tech from somewhere.

Old 10-30-08, 04:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No, if you were able to go to program with * + # you should be able to again. The process bypasses the armed state.

Are you _sure_ you keyed in #20? If you press *20, it simply waits for you to enter a new installer code.

As you have discovered the #20 command only works in program mode.

Listen carefully when you press keys, sometimes an older keypad can get a little iffy about registering keypresses.

Old 11-01-08, 02:16 PM
S
Red face Vista 10SE Wiring

I have a Vista SE10 wiring question. My battery died about a year ago and it took me a while to replace it. In the meantime, to stop the beeping from going off, I went into the electrical box and unplugged the red and black wires from screws 1 and 2 which is the master power connection. Now I am ready to reconnect and I can't remember which one gets the black wire and which one gets the red wire!! The wiring diagram inside the cover does not have + or - next to screws 1and 2 on the diagram. Help!

Old 11-01-08, 09:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not polarity sensitive, it's 16volts AC. It doesn't care which of those two wires is on which terminal.

Old 11-06-08, 10:09 PM
S
Thanks, I discovered on a different forum the diffs once armed

Originally Posted by MrRonFL
No, if you were able to go to program with * + # you should be able to again. The process bypasses the armed state.

Are you _sure_ you keyed in #20? If you press *20, it simply waits for you to enter a new installer code.

As you have discovered the #20 command only works in program mode.

Listen carefully when you press keys, sometimes an older keypad can get a little iffy about registering keypresses.
I found on a different forum that there is a slight difference in procedure if you have an "armed" box. The same procedure needs to be followed as before (thank-you-thank-you ) HOWEVER, you have to be pressing on the *+# at the same time you turn the AC back on. You cannot turn the AC on then run over and press the *+# as that will not work anymore.

Old 07-02-10, 06:35 PM
R
Ademco Vista 20 P; 15 series; Protection One; 6F

I stopped monitoring service with P1 the end of 2009. I am/was using the alarm as inhouse only. When I change the battery in a door sensor a month ago (June 2010), apparently triggered for system to call in alarm to P1. Now at random I get a 6F on the keypad and the rapid beeps till I enter the code twice. That does silence/resets the pad, but goes back off again @ random making using the alarm as inhouse useless.I called P1 and was told 6F indicates the alarm is trying to notify them of an alarm and since the system is no longer monitored by them, shows trouble, 6F on keypad. The alarm is not connected to a landline, it operates on cell phone (P1 installed). Is there a way to get around this problem? Naturally P1 would not help. Thanks!!!

Old 07-02-10, 06:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's not 6F it's bF. It for "long range radio" trouble. It means that the system has (or had) a cell dialer that is no longer communicating.

Disconnect the wires connecting the cell dialer to the system, then go into system programming:

Either use the power up method or use

[Installer code] + 8 + 00
*29 0
(and just to be safe...)
*41*
*42*
*94*

This will remove all vestiges of P1 monitoring settings.

Old 07-03-10, 07:32 AM
R
Ron, thanks so much for your help. I followed your instructions and now I am bf free!!!!
I appreciate you taking the time to help all of "us" out. Have a Happy 4th of July!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: