Adding second PC5508 keypad - questions

Old 06-10-08, 03:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding second PC5508 keypad - questions

We are adding on to the house, and I want to add a second PC5508 keypad to our PC5010 system. The wiring isn't an issue, as there is a spare wire already running into the crawlspace. My plan is to connect the new keypad wiring to the same terminals that the existing panel is in (red, black, green, yellow). I don't care if the new panel is supervised, I just want it to be able to acivate/deactive the system.

I bought a used PC5508 on ebay, and the seller has given me the master code, but she doesn't know the installer code (I haven't recieved the keypad yet to test the master code).

So:

- Am I correct in the way I plan to connect the keypad?
- Do I have to power down the system to add the second keypad?
- Will I have to reprogram the second keypad when I connect it, or will the system panel "tell" it about the zones? In other words, will the keypad work right away or will I have to do some reprogramming?
- If I have to reprogram the zones, can I do that with the Master Code or do I need the installer code?
- If the Master Code she gave me doesn't work, what are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 04:21 PM
T
you don't need the keypad sellers master code. the master code is programmed into your own alarm panel. if you don't power down the panel to connect the keypad you have to have the installer code for your alarm panel. if you do power down the panel you need the master code for your alarm. wire it in to the keybus on the panel where the other one is already. if you don't power down, be ever so careful not to short any wires. then you have to *8, installer code, 902, wait one minute, then # to exit. if you power down, wire on your keypad, then power up, plugging in the battery first, then the transformer. then you have to *6, master code, 1, then program in the time, then ## to exit. good luck. all your information is stored on the alarm panel, not your keypad, for the most part. if you have keypad zones being used then you will have to program your keypad. if not then it will be ready to use. if you don't have the master code, then you will have to contact your alarm company to change it to your own code. the installer code, they won't give you. good luck. hope i didn't confuse you too much.

Old 06-10-08, 05:06 PM
R
Originally Posted by tallcanadian View Post
if you have keypad zones being used then you will have to program your keypad. if not then it will be ready to use.
I have 8 zones on my current keypad. Does that mean I have to program the new keypad to match these 8 zones? I can do that with the master code, correct? Also, if that new keypad is still programmed to the prior owners zones, is that gonna be a problem or is it just a matter of reprogramming them right away?

Also, can I splice CL3 wire to the existing CL2 wire? No one around here seems to have 22/4 CL2 wire, but Home Depot has the CL3. I need it in the next few days because the sheetrock goes in then.

Powering down will not reset the whole system, correct?

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 06-10-08, 06:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
No, once you enroll the keypad using the _installer code_ for your own system, the keypad will work just fine. The zones are part of the alarm control programming, the keypad is just an interface.

Powering down will not erase anything except the clock setting (the programming is in an eeprom that could stay powered down for 20 years without loosing data).

If you only have the Master Code (arm/disarm + set additonal user codes), you will need to figure out the installer code before you can sucessfully install your new keypad. The factory default _installer code_ is 5010.

Old 06-10-08, 06:34 PM
R
tallcanadian said above that if I power down the systen, I won't need the installer code, but your saying I need the installer code. I'm confused. Again, I'm not concerned about having this keypad monitored. Can I install it to arm/disarm without the installer code?

Old 06-11-08, 04:20 AM
T
depends of how you connect it. like i said before, if you do not power down the system, and wire in the keypad, the panel panel will go into a general trouble. the only way to clear it is by going into *8, installer code, 902, wait one minute, then exit out. if you power down the system, wire in the keypad, power the system back up, then you will have a trouble 8 on your keypad which is your clock. you will have to *6, master code, 1, enter time, then exit out. all will be good.

Old 06-11-08, 05:24 AM
R
Originally Posted by tallcanadian View Post
depends of how you connect it. like i said before, if you do not power down the system, and wire in the keypad, the panel panel will go into a general trouble. the only way to clear it is by going into *8, installer code, 902, wait one minute, then exit out. if you power down the system, wire in the keypad, power the system back up, then you will have a trouble 8 on your keypad which is your clock. you will have to *6, master code, 1, enter time, then exit out. all will be good.
Awesome, thanks.

Shoould I notify the security company before I power down?

Old 06-11-08, 08:11 AM
T
yes, have the system put on test anyway for a couple of hours, or however long you need.