Help with New install /Conversion from old system

Old 06-17-08, 01:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with New install /Conversion from old system

I will be ordering a new system shortly to install in my mother's house which currently has an old Safe House Radio Shack Alarm. I will likely get a Ademco Vista 15P as I installed the 20P in my home and am somewhat familiar with it. Before I order it though I have a few questions:

1) The alarm is currently connected to a siren in the attic. I have never seen this "siren" however my mother says it is pointed out a vent in the attic and it is very loud inside/outside. I am unsure if the Safe House system has a driver or something similar to drive this siren, however I would like to continue using it. I am in another state and am unable to verify what kind of siren it is and if there is any driver for it either internal or external. What are the odds that this siren will be compatible with the Vista 15P and will not require a driver be installed to the panel?

2) I would also like to keep the wiring for the keypad, which is a basic 1-9, *, # pad with nothing else. Where these older system wired with wire that is compatible with today’s newer systems?

3) I will be using the current 1t floor hard wired motion detector and will be installing a second hard wired motion, 5 wireless door/windows sensors, and 1 wired door contact as well as a wireless glass break, 1 wireless smoke and 1 wired smoke sensor. Is the Vista 15P the best system for this setup or would the 10P or 20P be better for any reason?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-17-08, 06:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
The only way to tell what kind of siren you have is to get to it and look at the label. Either it's a self contained 12v siren, or it's a speaker (which requires either a driver card, or a built in driver from the alarm panel). Given most of those radio shack systems, it's probably a siren (the Radio shack system _was_ 12vdc, yes?)

Current generation systems generally need 4 wires for the keypad. If you have at least that many going from the panel head location to the keypad, then you are good to go.

If you are going to go with the ademco family, go with the 20P. You get 2 more hardwired zones, and there are features that the 10P and 15P don't have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: