wireless security

Old 07-22-08, 07:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wireless security

my name is Dan, I'm new to the forum, anyway my wife and I just bought a new house and we're looking to get a wireless security system that's affordable...and I wouldn't mind installing it myself, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 11:33 AM
I would look into the GE Concord 4, it is a great system and very DIY friendly.

Old 07-22-08, 01:51 PM
For wireless home security, the GE Simon 3 is a great system. Its user friendly, simple to install, and offers a lot of functionality. The Concord is a good system, but its more of a hybrid panel, not purely wireless. Good luck.

Old 07-22-08, 06:26 PM
I have the Concord 4, and it's a very flexable system. It is indeed a hybrid system, but the wireless works well, and it's very expandable. If you shop around, the panel can be had pretty inexpensively. eBay is a good place to look for the GE wireless stuff, I've found a lot of new stuff at far below what the security sites are charging for the same items.

Old 07-25-08, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
I have the Concord 4, and it's a very flexable system. It is indeed a hybrid system, but the wireless works well, and it's very expandable. If you shop around, the panel can be had pretty inexpensively. eBay is a good place to look for the GE wireless stuff, I've found a lot of new stuff at far below what the security sites are charging for the same items.
exactly..... ebay..

I got my concord 4 kit for $90 to my door... brand new...

then added a few items (not much as I have all wireless now)

but I have the unit up and running... havent got to call adt and cancel yet.. maybe today... and get the panel in this weekend....

When people reference the concord 4 as hybrid.. does that mean because you can have hard wired devices too?

the only hard wired devices I have are:
concord 4 keypad
external speaker

I have the following wireless devices:
9 door window sensors
2 glassbreaks
1 motion
1 water detector (will get a second later)
2 smoke detectors
1 keyfob

Old 07-25-08, 05:25 AM
Yep, the Concord 4 has 8 wired channels and the wireless capability. The keypads and speakers are not part of the 8 channels. Mine has three keypads at various locations. I also had to include an aux power supply, the 1A from the panel wasn't enough.

My system is mostly wired, I have 24 wired channels on my Concord, and some wireless devices where wired would be a problem. I replaced an existing Napco 900 panel that was 18 years old with this one, so most of the wiring was already in place.

Old 08-06-08, 07:03 PM
Can wireless cameras be integrated with this system ? What about software that can be used to control it and allow for sending a text message to a cellphone. Even better, the pictures that the camera(s) take, emailed to a specified address ?

Old 08-06-08, 07:23 PM
Sure, with the alarm.com gateway and alarm.com subscription

Old 08-06-08, 07:28 PM
Well, thats probably not for me then. I want something I integrate with my own pc ( I have several) with no outside monitoring. I want to monitor the system myself. What about some of the sytems that x10.com sells ?

Old 08-07-08, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by BitShift View Post
I want to monitor the system myself. What about some of the sytems that x10.com sells ?
You can monitor the Concord yourself if you like, I don't see that as an issue. However, given that AlarmRelay has full time fire/intrusion monitoring for $8.95/mo, I'm hard pressed to come up with a good reason to have DIY monitoring. There's no way you can be available 24/7, and I'd like the fire department to respond to a fire even when I'm not there, wouldn't you?