Hardwired smoke detector replacement

Old 07-27-08, 11:43 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwired smoke detector replacement

I've got three smoke detectors hard-wired to each other in my house, but one of them goes off constantly when a battery is connected, and another has gotten extremely quiet. What do people normally do when these hardwired smoke detectors need to be replaced? They have mounting brackets in the ceiling, so my hope would be that I could get replacements of the same type, or ones that are compatible.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 03:38 AM
try a web search with the make and mod
are thay hooked up to a alarm system

Old 07-28-08, 02:19 PM
M
No alarm system, they are Firex detectors, with a three-conductor connection that connects directly to the topside of the detector, no wire coming out of it. It looks very much like this: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100056064 Unfortunately it's not available in-store so there's no way for me to tell before paying for it whether they will work with my system...

Old 07-28-08, 06:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
Just get 3 new hardwired AC/DC smoke alarms, and replace the whole set. If they are acting this flakey, they are probably in bad shape. Any of the major brands (BRK, Firex, First Alert, etc.) will work just fine.

Life safety is not something to cheap out on.

Old 07-29-08, 03:23 PM
M
Got it taken care of with a whole new set. I was hesitant to replace the whole mounting bracket and everything. If I knew beforehand that it was as easy as installing an AC outlet I would have replaced them all years ago. Thanks for the help.