Can't set alarm - 832 (5015)

Old 09-08-08, 12:05 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't set alarm - 832 (5015)

Hope someone can help.

My alarm is an 832 (5015 v2.28) with a 5501 keypad. Two days ago it came on with the trouble light and started chirping. I did the *2 which said low battery.

Took that out. Found it warm and discharged (11.2v). It can't hold a charge now so changed it today with a new one.

After about 30 minutes the light went out and *2 showed no trouble.

This where I thought I done a good job! How wrong I was.

Now if I try to set the alarm I get one long beep followed by (4/5?) small beeps. If I do *2 the trouble light blinks on/off. No other information is shown.

Have I not reset something or do I need to look at something else?

Old 09-09-08, 05:11 AM
B
Some additional information.

When I go to arm the alarm doing # + code the ready light is not on.

How do I found out why the alarm is not ready?

*2 just flashes the trouble light so nothing useful there

Any suggestions?

Old 09-09-08, 07:26 PM
V
Press right arrow and it should display the # of the zone open.
It doesn't display the zone when you try to arm it?

Old 09-10-08, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Based on the handle you chose, and your stated system model, I suspect that you are in the UK.

From previous forum posts, British Gas routinely puts a tamper switch on the panel box door that trips a latching supervisory that can only be reset by going into installer programming.

BG keeps the installer code pretty close to the chest (they may use more than one), and nearly always sets the installer lockout feature so you cannot even use a hardware default to get around it.

Old 09-10-08, 01:43 PM
B
Thanks for the replies.

The installer lockout should be off now as I had that argument with British Gas a while ago.

I think it must be the tamper switch which is tripping me up from when I opened the box.

I do now have a copy of the DLS software and two phone lines in the house. Is it possible, if I connect the alarm to the phone, to dial out on one and in on the other to get in to the software of the alarm?

I can't get it to answer the incoming call at the moment so don't know if I have things set up right, that I'm using the right keys on the keypad to put it in to listen mode or that when I do connect I can get in to the alarm.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated before I completely disassemble my whole alarm

Old 09-10-08, 03:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If BG never reset the installer codes back to either the factory default, or to one of your choosing, your copy of DLS will not connect to the panel. The panel expects to see a specific code response (which is specific to the copy of the software that downloaded the panel originally) from the software, and if it doesn't get it, it will not complete the connection.

If you do have a working installer code all you have to do to clear the tamper is to enter installer programming and exit again. (I would also disable that stupid door switch, or at least change the setting for that zone to something more useful and less obnoxious.)

Old 09-11-08, 04:42 AM
B
Should the tamper switch be normally open or closed. I expect closed and could put a meter on it but thought I'd ask.

I'll fix the switch before getting an engineer in so that I don't get caught again.

Thanks.

Old 09-11-08, 04:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The switch is (usually) closed when the door is closed. The easy fix is to take the wires off the back of the switch and twist them together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: