Concord Express problem

Old 09-15-08, 01:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concord Express problem

Hi to all. First time on this forum. I have a Concord Express alarm system at my cabin. It has worked fine since I bought the cabin 3 years ago but now there is a problem. I had my security company come out and they said the main board is fried, most likely due to lightning. The problem is parts are no longer available to repair and a new panel will be $550. I have no idea what the system cost new or when it was installed. Does this sound reasonable? They did say the new panel was a better panel with more features but I do not need any more features. Does any one know if parts are available for the Concord Express? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-08, 04:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Hmmm, while I think it may be technically discontinued, it was a really popular system and there is likely a fair number still in stock in various places:

Websearch the following part number: "59-750-95R-16Z-AR Concord Express"

This is the board only, and I want to say they run under $(us)125 on average.

Old 09-15-08, 05:03 PM
G
Still available....the reason you don't hear a lot about it anymore is that it only costs about $10 more to jump into a Concord 4.

Old 09-16-08, 04:40 PM
J
One More Question

Thenk you for the replys. It looks like I will be moving up to the Concord 4. My new question is, how can I protect the new board from lightning damage? According to the tech I talked to they had quite a few boards fail in the last month. Is there any chance the new board has suppressors built into it or maybe some type of surge protector?

Old 09-16-08, 05:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Surge protection can be tricky with alarm systems. The web of zone wiring, even on a system that is mostly wireless, is a big antenna, and even nearby lighting strikes can be "end run" around most protection.

That said, I've found that adding surge to the phone line and main power input can help (even here, in lighting prone FL):

The ELK 950 is a product that I've found to be pretty cost effective. There are others, but it's the one I keep coming back to.

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-950.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: