SAW Pet Immune Motion Sensor detection

Old 10-04-08, 05:38 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
SAW Pet Immune Motion Sensor detection

Hi folks,
I'm new to this forum and new to the alarm system technology. Right now I'm installing the Simon XT system and I'm using the SAW Pet Immune PIR motion sensors.
With one particular motion sensor I have a problem. This one sensor is supposed to cover a narrow hallway. I tried to determine the ideal position of this sensor, but was not able to find one. I have been told, that this sensor is not capable to detect a motion if the area to survey is narrow, like in the case of a hallway. I also have been told that the sensor will not trigger an alarm if a person is walking towards the sensor, it will react only if a person walks away or is crossing the sensor's detection area. My tests seem somewhat to confirm this theory, but not by 100%.
Can some "expert" confirm this? Tnx

Old 10-04-08, 07:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Someone who is able to walk is a slowish, direct straight line with the motion can sometimes creep up on one, but it's harder than it sounds, and the reality is that the ability to defeat a motion in this way is more of a fluke than not.

Install your motion where you need to, just remember, motions are supposed to be the second line, your perimeter is the main thing to protect.

Old 07-21-09, 08:49 PM
T
I have same problem but SAW Pet Immune PIR can be trigger an alarm only first time.
For the second time I have waiting more than 3 minute.
I have try to walk cross the sensor line again the PIR isn't trigger.

Old 07-22-09, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
_All_ wireless motion detectors have a 3-5 minute activity lockout for battery conservation. Otherwise, you would find your self spending a lot of money on somewhat expensive lithium batteries because of normal activity in the typical residence.

Don't worry, they react just fine when someone trips them in an unoccupied location.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Old 05-09-11, 04:13 PM
D
I recently moved a Simon 3 system to a new location and encountered a problem with the SAW Pet Immune Motion Sensors (PIRs):

All three motion sensors have are programmed into group 17 and are installed at the appropriate height. There are no extraordinary circumstances in any of the spaces (living, bedroom and garage). The door/window sensors behave correctly and are programmed into group 16.

The problem is that all the sensors detect motion only in an unreliable matter. Sometimes only if I wave right in front of the sensors, some of them only if a approach from a certain angle, etc. Sometimes they detect me walking by, but most of the time they don´t, so they are pretty much useless.

The sensors show the same behaviour during the walk test.

I am aware of the 3 minute lockout time and try to respect it while testing.

Since the problem presents itself with all three sensors, I hope there is a solution for this problem, since it is unlikely that all three sensors suddenly broke at the same time.

Old 05-09-11, 06:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Seriously, you are overthinking this. Trust me, these devices react as designed in the circumstance they are designed for: An unoccupied observation area without constant motion.

Old 05-09-11, 09:13 PM
D
Well thanks.

That´s a relief. I´ll test the system returning home after several hours of absence!

Old 05-09-11, 09:43 PM
G
Are you sure you want group 16 for the door/window sensors? They are not active when you press the arm "Doors and Windows" button in this group...

Old 05-10-11, 03:32 PM
D
Yes, I am aware of that. But the door is not a perimeter door. This particular system will never be HOME armed. It won´t hurt to program the door into group 14 either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: