ESL 449CT wiring

Old 10-19-08, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ESL 449CT wiring

Please help verify the wiring for a 4 wire ESL 449CT smoke detector. I have an 9 pin connector that has the following identification.
++ (power)
--(power)

[ ---] (alarm supervision)

I wrote down the wire order
1-red
2-empty
3-black
4-empty
5-green
6-white (and one leg of jumper)
7-empty
8-jumper other leg

I made the above connection and the trouble light will not reset on my 5010. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Did you install a 5.6 k resistor in parallel with the circuit? Even if you turn off the resistor requirement for the burg zones, fire zones still require it.

Old 10-20-08, 08:26 AM
Resistor in place

Yes, the resistor is in place. I identified it as a jumper between contact point 6 and 8. the white wire shares contact point #6 with the resistor. I must correct that the pin has 8 contacts, not 9 as I said in my post. (sorry)

I disconnected the smoke detector and tried to remove the trouble light. No luck. My monitoring company wants to send a tech out for $125.00 service call. Any other ideas?
Thanks

Last edited by McMonkey; 10-20-08 at 08:27 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 10-20-08, 04:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, assuming that this is the only smoke on the loop:

Using your described wire order:

"I wrote down the wire order"
1-red (= + DC power)
2-empty
3-black (= -DC power)
4-empty
The next 4 connections are where you went wrong
5-green
6-white (and one leg of jumper)
7-empty
8-jumper other leg

It should be:
5-green (to zone input common)
6-one leg of resistor
7-other leg of resistor
8-white (to zone input)

If you look at the install instruction for your smoke, it will make more sense (I know all the criss-crossing lines are visually confusing if you don't look at schematics every day)

The same diagram shows how to install a power supervision relay, if you want to install the circuit according to "hoyle".

If you don't have the install instructions go here:
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/7309.pdf

Old 10-20-08, 07:40 PM
Resistor Not Moved from Original Wire Position

Ron,
Thanks for the review. I did not remove the resistor when I disconnected the detector. The single resistor was wired as such from the original install (10 years ago). Is it possible that 6 and 8 are resistored? I set off the alarm when I tried to connect the white wire along with the resistor to #6 connection.

I found the Sentrol 4 wire diagram, but I was not able to determine the white wire placement. I apprciate your expertise. I will move the resistor to contacts #6 and #7, and connect the white wire to #8. I should have taken a picture, but the alarm was sounding on a lovely Sunday afternoon.

This is the only smoke detector on the 5010 panel.
Many thanks for your assistance.
Cheers,

Old 10-20-08, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Terminals 5 & 6 are electrically connected, Terminals 7 & 8 are electrically connected (you can check this with a continuity tester).

I can only give you the manufacturer's instructions.

Old 10-21-08, 07:26 AM
Expert Knowledge and Interpretation

Ron,
I will rewire the smoke as you indicated according to the schematic. Your knowledge and skill are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your superb guidance.

Cheers,
Christine

Old 10-22-08, 02:10 PM
Wiring Model-Success!

All,
I connected the wiring as per the advice from Ron. The trouble light went out and the system cleared. Many thanks go to Ron for his correct interpretation of the ESL Sentrol 449CT smoke detector schematics.

I have one last problem to resolve with the monitoring company. The tech from the monitoring company changed the program to remove the fire circuit and when it was restored, the telephone activation was turned on to cut off the phone when the system went through the typical arm and unarm process.

I now have the installers code changed back to the code that my original installer used. I now have access to go in and get a look at the baseline of the system. Thanks to this great resource, I am able to manage my own security and devices. I salute Ron and all the other heroes that make this site so valuable.
Cheers,

Old 10-22-08, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not a bug, it's a feature. It sounds like they turned on the function to monitor open (disarm) and closing (arm), so it's sending a signal (and seizing the phone line).

Normally this is an upgrade monitoring function (many central stations charge extra for the service).

Old 03-10-11, 01:30 PM
Wiring for the 449ct

I have two wires coming out of the ceiling. Each has a red, green, black and yellow. I'm not sure how to deal with these duplicates.
Thanks,
Gordon

Old 03-10-11, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you have more than one smoke, and the one you are trying to replace is in the middle. If everything is wired basically as with a single smoke (as described above):

1-red (= + DC power in)
2-red (= + DC power out)
3-black (= -DC power in)
4-black (= -DC power out)
5-green (to zone input common or previous detector)
6-green (to zone input common of next detector)
7-yellow (to zone input or previous detector)
8-yellow (to zone input of next detector)

It's really not that complex. Don't get hung up on the wire color; sometimes you will see 2-3 different 4 conductor wire color schemes in a single install (you can buy a different batch of the same brand of wire and get different colors for the secondary conductors (don't ask me why...)).

4 wire smokes are basically very fancy relays. They need DC power to work, and they provide Normally Open alarm connections.

Old 02-12-13, 01:40 PM
A little more help please

I too am replacing a 445CT with a 449CST alarm. The old 445CT has only 4 wires in, none out. The correct terminal connections which you suggested makes sense to me, but my old alarm does not have the resistor you referred to which makes me unsure of what I'm doing. The 445 has 4 terminals.
Post #1 is a red wire;
Post #2 is a black wire;
Post #3 is a green wire;
Post #4 is a white wire.
Post 1 is jumped to 3 and Post 2 is jumped to 4.
There is no resistor!
My system is a DSC 5010 which had only this detector until I had the installer add another to the master bedroom which he wired separately from the one I'm replacing.
I expected this to be a simple job of removing and replacing. Did I underestimate the technicality of this job?
It's been over a month since I called the installer.
Should I proceed?

Old 02-12-13, 09:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmmmm, that actually doesn't sound right.

On a 445CT, terminals 1 & 2 are for power, and 3 & 4 are the alarm contact. With any normal alarm system, you would not jumper smoke detector power to the alarm loop.

Look carefully, could the "jumpers" be the wire leads of an end of line relay device?