PowerSeries Envoy and unhelpful local installer

Old 10-22-08, 09:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PowerSeries Envoy and unhelpful local installer

Our local installer that put in our security system some three years ago often takes two to three weeks to respond to troubles we have with the system.

Most recently, the battery failed after an extended period of a breaker having flipped. The beep beeping ensued after I reflipped the breaker and the system powered back up. Now it's saying I have errors including having to reset the time.

Lots of things I am capable of doing I can't do b/c the installer won't give us a master code. We as owners of the system are beholden to him and his schedule to do simple maintenance and now I've grown tired of it.

DSC's only solution was to hire another installer - none are in the area, however (rural western va.)

Can someone help? All I want to do is be able to fix the clock and add a code when we get a new employee. He won't let us have the code he says for "security reasons" even though we bought and paid for the system..

Old 10-22-08, 02:57 PM
You can reprogram the time and clear the trouble with your master code. The installer has an installer code. Download you owners manual for help clearing these troubles.

The envoy was DSC's first run with an all-in-one panel (keypad, dialer, siren in one unit). These systems are ok for rental homes and apartments, but in a business I would look into upgrading to something more robust.

Old 10-23-08, 07:49 AM
D
Envoy

Actually, our owner's manual says envoy but there's no integral siren or anything of the like. The manual also says PowerSeries on the front, too. Perhaps a common manual?

EDIT: Upon further research, it's a LCD5500Z

Since the security installer will not provide us with the master code (I realize this is difft from the installer code), does anyone have a way for me to get around it? Short of ripping the thing out of the wall and starting over...

Old 10-23-08, 09:55 AM
There is no reason why the installer should have the master code. If he has the master code, he could disarm the system any time he likes. Are you sure that you are not mistaken? Are you able to add and delete codes with your code?

Old 10-23-08, 10:27 AM
D
I'm completely certain

He has the master code and will not give it to us. He said it's for security purposes. To me it seems like it's to ensure he'll be able to bill us any time we need to add a code, take one away, etc. So no, we can't do that with any of our codes.

The installer (and security company owner) says this is his practice and he won't give us the master code, period.

That's why I'm posting all this. Can anyone lend some advice?

Old 10-23-08, 11:50 AM
Two options:

OPTION 1:

Call around from the yellow pages to find an alarm service company that works on DSC. Almost all do. Have them default the installer code and master code for you to have.

OPTION 2:

Figure out what panel you have. The model you posted is for the keypad. You can get the model off of the inside of the control panel (metal enclosure).

Try the default installer code to change the master code.

You may need to default the alarm panel to reset the master and installer codes. You would then need to reprogram all sensors and account and receiver #. Although, if your current service provider will not give you the master code, I doubt he would give you the account and receiver numbers. This is not an easy task, DSC programming is not for the faint at heart.

Bottom line, fire your current provider. He is being a $%&!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: