Rec: Wireless system for multiple buildings

Old 11-09-08, 02:18 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rec: Wireless system for multiple buildings

I'm looking to install a wireless security system in my home. I also have 3 sheds within about 400 feet of my house that I would like to secure also. I would like door/window sensors in my house and a few door/window sensors in each of the buildings. I would like the system to be wireless as burying cable is expensive. I haven't been able to find a system that can monitor all 4 buildings. Any recommendations?? Thanks!

Old 11-09-08, 03:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
There are long range wireless transmitters/recievers that can tie into a hardwired zone input.

Linear Products - Wireless Security, Access Control, Garage Door Operator, Radio Control, Emergency Reporting

The model above is listed for 1500 feet, but going through walls, it more like 5-600 feet.

Old 11-09-08, 09:01 PM
N
I think I understand what I'll need, but I'm still fairly new to the particulars. I guess I could use a specific explanation of what I'll need to have sensors in an outlying building, receive input from those sensors and then send that information to the main control panel in my house. So the receiver ni my shed will receive input from wireless or hardwire sensors in the shed, and how does that information get to the main control panel in my house? I appreciate your help and patience! Thanks! Also, I was considering a GE system if that helps.

Old 11-09-08, 09:21 PM
G
GE Concord Ultra (Version 3) comes with a Superbus 2000 transceiver (different than the "stock" receiver that typically comes with a concord) has an open air range of 2300ft if you keep in it the panel's metal enclosure. If you take it out of the panel enclosure and put in in it's own metal enclosure, the open air range is 3500ft...

That receiver will work on any Concord version 3 and higher. If you order a concord 4, you have to ask for this receiver specifically (that's why I recommend the Concord Ultra) or else you will get the stock receiver built into the motherboard rated at 1000ft open air range...

Old 11-10-08, 04:44 AM
N
Thanks for your response! So, the GE Concord Ultra 3 has the transceiver in the panel, and that would be located inside my house. Would the battery life of the sensors in my shed be reduced as a result of the distance, or is there a way to hardwire the sensors in the shed? Thanks again!

Old 11-10-08, 06:14 AM
G
It comes mounted in the can (not built into the motherboard), but you can move it if need be to give you better reception. No, this has no bearing on battery life of the transmitters. What material(s) is the shed made out of?

If you can get a wire into the shed(s), then you can mount a hardwire expander out there for your devices and hardwire those contacts...But it sounds like that is not an option in your case. You could use hardwire contacts wired into wireless devices and have them report to the receiver(s) via RF.

Old 11-12-08, 04:34 PM
N
Sorry for the delay in my reply. I'm having another wonderful week of tests.

The sheds are all wood framed and steel sided. I can run wire within the building for the contacts. It's also unheated, and I live in Minnesota. So, wired sensors may be the only way to go. I'd like to have wired contacts and have them report to a unit in the shed(s) which could then wirelessly send it back to my house. What products does GE make that could collect the information from the shed sensors and send it to the house? Thanks so much!

Old 11-13-08, 10:30 AM
G
I was afraid you would say the shed is made of steel! Steel and wireless don't play well together...If you can't get a wire from the panel to the shed(s) (this is your best option), then you have to try and make it work with wireless. You can hardwire your contacts to a wireless transmitter. I would recommend using part #60-362. It is a door window sensor that you can hardwire contacts to, and it has the best RF range of all of the GE transmitters. Try to mount the wireless receiver in the house on a wall nearest to the shed(s).

Old 11-15-08, 12:43 PM
N
It seems as though most of the wireless products only work in temperatures above 10 degrees or above 32 degrees. In Minnesota it can certainly get colder than that... What is typically used in low temperature situations?

Old 11-16-08, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In a word: Hardwiring.

Not trying to be flip, but you are asking for a lot from something that runs on battery power. If this structure is of great concern for you, a 500 foot roll of 18 gauge direct bury cable, and a days rent of ditch machine will be well spent.

Old 11-16-08, 03:16 PM
G
Originally Posted by NJ7000
It seems as though most of the wireless products only work in temperatures above 10 degrees or above 32 degrees. In Minnesota it can certainly get colder than that... What is typically used in low temperature situations?
I'm also in MN...I have several RF sensors working outside going on 5 years now with no issues...The big thing to worry about is moisture. Cold is usually not the problem!

I will concur with MrRon...your best bet is to hardwire if you can. I've seen wireless work (in a situation similiar to yours, multiple metal sheds in northern MN), but we had to use RF repeaters to make it happen.

Old 12-06-08, 02:49 PM
N
I finally have all of my ducks in a row, and I've decided to bury a cable to the buildings and use hard wired contacts. I'll also be going with the Concord 4 system with wireless contacts in my house. My question is, what do I need to connect my hard wired door contacts (6), a siren or two, a strobe with my control panel. That is, what do I connect all of my contacts to in the shed, so that I can run a wire from that device to my control panel?

I also might consider installing video surveillance in the future. Would this affect the hardware setup?

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by NJ7000; 12-06-08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 04:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
At that point, it's just a hardwired contact circuit. The only difference is if you are trying to individually alarm each building.

You just use the appropriate hardwired contact for your installation. The heavy duty industrial models are probably your best bet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: