Adding a shed

Old 12-07-08, 03:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a shed

I have an existing hardwired system (Concord 4), and I'd like to extend the system to a shed in the back yard. I'll have about 3 door sensors and 3 window sensors. It's not heated, so I'd like to stick with hardwire. I'm wondering what kind of wire I need to go from the panel in the house to the shed. Will I need any other hardware to complete the install? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-08, 05:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
If you are planning on making all of the openings in the shed one zone, run 16 gauge direct burial cable and connect all of my door and window contacts as a single loop to that.

If it's not a budget-buster, I would run 4 conductor and strongly consider splurging on some 1/2" poly conduit. (This gives both flexibility, redunduncy, and a path for upgrades).

Old 12-08-08, 05:41 PM
T
Thanks for the reply!

What would I need to connect all of the sensors and for wire if I wanted a few different zones?

Old 12-08-08, 06:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
Every zone requires 2 conductors. So for more zones, you add more pairs.

For the actual wiring in the shed you can use basic 22 gauge security wire. You need your contacts and crimp connectors to make the physical connections as needed.

Old 12-30-08, 01:54 PM
T
I just ordered the parts to install the system to my shed. I was wondering if I should add a siren to the shed. Would I need 2 additional wires to install the siren also?

Old 12-30-08, 03:59 PM
G
Originally Posted by Tom2222 View Post
I just ordered the parts to install the system to my shed. I was wondering if I should add a siren to the shed. Would I need 2 additional wires to install the siren also?
Yes.........................................................................

Old 12-30-08, 08:47 PM
I would run a four conductor to a zone expander in the shed. And a a couple two conductors, one for the siren and one for a spare.

By running a zone expander, you can split out up to 8 zones and even add a keypad to the data bus.

Good luck