Simon XT talking remote touchpad

Old 12-16-08, 02:28 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Simon XT talking remote touchpad

Just got this from my Front Point rep, I think alot of people have been waiting on this.

The much-awaited Simon XT compatible Talking Remote Touchpad has been released and is now available for purchase. See below for product-related details.

PRODUCT DETAILS
Item: Simon XT Talking Remote Touchpad
Price: $79.99
Link to Product: FrontPoint Security Solutions : Choose : Talking Remote Touchpad

Old 12-21-08, 11:06 AM
N
Originally Posted by hawk1996
Just got this from my Front Point rep, I think alot of people have been waiting on this.

The much-awaited Simon XT compatible Talking Remote Touchpad has been released and is now available for purchase. See below for product-related details.

PRODUCT DETAILS
Item: Simon XT Talking Remote Touchpad
Price: $79.99
Link to Product: FrontPoint Security Solutions : Choose : Talking Remote Touchpad
It's about time.

How do you know that it is the new XT version? 60-924-3-XT is the part number listed on safemart but they have a retail price of $99.

Old 12-23-08, 07:27 AM
C
Originally Posted by nickdiy
It's about time.

How do you know that it is the new XT version? 60-924-3-XT is the part number listed on safemart but they have a retail price of $99.
Hi nickdiy,

Yes, we agree! It's been a long time in the coming & we're excited to finally have the product available for sale. You're correct, the part number is 60-924-3-XT. Our price is $79.99.

Also, please note: You need to have a Simon XT with firmware Rev. 1.2 or above. To determine the version on your Simon XT, press the Up button three times.

Happy Holidays.

The FrontPoint Security Team

(This is an official post from FrontPoint Security Solutions. Please note that FrontPoint Security is a nationwide authorized dealer for GE Security and Alarm.com. This posting was made by an employee of FrontPoint Security.)

Old 01-01-09, 03:18 PM
F
Adding remote voice touchpad to panel

I am unable to add the remote touchpad into my main panel of the simon xt. Anyone have any ideas what to try? I have rev 1.2.

Old 01-01-09, 05:53 PM
G
Originally Posted by FJRocketMan
I am unable to add the remote touchpad into my main panel of the simon xt. Anyone have any ideas what to try? I have rev 1.2.
Lights "OFF" key 6 times......

Old 01-03-09, 08:31 AM
H
I got my talking touchpad working, but it won't do the voice chimes, does anyone know how to turn this on?

Old 01-04-09, 04:15 PM
G
I'll check to be certain tomorrow, but I believe the touchpad is not a Dialogue device....Which means it is not 2-way communication like the Simon 3 (the demo unit I have is not dialogue). In other words, it's only going to talk when you press a button on it. The talking touchpad for the Simon 3 is Dialogue, it'll talk on it's own as well as give chime and alarm sounds.

Hang tight, I'll do some digging tomorrow.

Last edited by GEGUY; 01-04-09 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 12:28 PM
G
Originally Posted by GEGUY
I'll check to be certain tomorrow, but I believe the touchpad is not a Dialogue device....Which means it is not 2-way communication like the Simon 3 (the demo unit I have is not dialogue). In other words, it's only going to talk when you press a button on it. The talking touchpad for the Simon 3 is Dialogue, it'll talk on it's own as well as give chime and alarm sounds.

Hang tight, I'll do some digging tomorrow.
My hunch was correct...It is not Dialogue.

Old 01-06-09, 09:42 PM
N
My hunch was correct...It is not Dialogue.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if GE plans to release anything else or is this the best we get for the XT?

Old 01-07-09, 12:08 PM
G
Long term, Simon 3 is going away in about 2-3 years and XT will take over, so all Dialogue products will eventually work on XT. Not sure on a timetable for each product yet. I'll keep my ears open.

Old 01-07-09, 04:35 PM
B
XT talking keypad won't regester

I can't get the new talking keypad to register... I was wondering if they sent the wrong unit. Pslip says 60-924-3-XT but the box says 60-924-3-01 which I think is the Simon 3. Instructions are only Simon 3. Did SMart send me the wrong unit? I did the "light off" 6x and the XT base beeps and the message displayed is "Sns XX exists trip sensor" I tried numerous times and even linked a different sensor into the same # and that worked fine.
I have Soft Vers. 1.2
Help!

Last edited by Bwalker541; 01-07-09 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 06:59 PM
N
Originally Posted by Bwalker541
I can't get the new talking keypad to register... I was wondering if they sent the wrong unit. Pslip says 60-924-3-XT but the box says 60-924-3-01 which I think is the Simon 3. Instructions are only Simon 3. Did SMart send me the wrong unit? I did the "light off" 6x and the XT base beeps and the message displayed is "Sns XX exists trip sensor" I tried numerous times and even linked a different sensor into the same # and that worked fine.
I have Soft Vers. 1.2
Help!
The 60-924-3-01 is definitely the wrong touchpad. That's for the Simon 3. I know b/c I bought one too and it did not work with my 1.2 xt. It did learn into the panel but wouldn't work properly. For instance, if you hit disarm, the keypad would say "Disarmed zero zero" or "Doors/Windows Armed zero zero". Yes it would say the word "zero" twice. Then if you hit arm multiple times it'd say some other error message.

Old 01-07-09, 08:43 PM
B
Ok, thanks... so I'm not crazy..well at least on this....
Nasty phone call to S-Mart tomorrow.
I ordered this as soon as it was avail. from them and it took a while to get it even though it was "in stock".

Blake

Old 01-08-09, 05:46 PM
K
Same XT Touchpad problem....

I'm in the same situation as you...I just received and set up my remote Simon XT Talking Touchpad, and it's working fine to arm and disarm the system. HOWEVER, it's giving me strange announcements. When I arm it, it says "Press phone communication detected." When I disarm, it says "Doors & Windows zero-zero."

ALSO:
With the system disarmed, I open my front door, press the "status" button, and (after saying the usual "doors & windows 00"), it says "medicine cabinet motion" instead of "front door open" (as it does correctly on the main XT control panel). I open the back door, and the remote touchpad now says "carbon monoxide motion". When I open a window, it says "den". Very weird....

My XT main control panel states the correct names for those sensors that are tripped. Any idea what's going on here?

I, too, now suspect I got the wrong item. After reading the previous posts, I checked my purchase slip & box, and they don't match. The box says "60-924-3-01", while the purchase slip says "60-924-3-XT." I can't tell by looking at the back of the device itself, which one it actually is --- there's no model number there.

I tried calling SafeMart (where I purchased it), but no answer. I left, instead, an email message...Hopefully, they'll get back to me soon....

Old 01-08-09, 06:26 PM
K
Also....

I forgot to mention....

My touchpad only works (but with the weird announcements) in the "key" mode --- it cannot be learned as a sensor when I put it in the "chime" mode. I get that same error message ("Error SN exists...trip sensor #").

Old 01-08-09, 06:57 PM
N
I really cant believe they are shipping the wrong version.

Their website clearly states the 2 different versions for simon 3 vs. xt:

Compare Features of the GE Simon 3 and the GE Simon XT

Features Simon 3 (view) Simon XT (view)
Supports 2-Way Talking Touchpad Yes (60-924-3) Yes (60-924-3-XT)

Old 01-08-09, 08:03 PM
G
Originally Posted by kmatsu
I forgot to mention....

My touchpad only works (but with the weird announcements) in the "key" mode --- it cannot be learned as a sensor when I put it in the "chime" mode. I get that same error message ("Error SN exists...trip sensor #").
Chime mode is only on Simon 3....

Old 01-09-09, 06:41 AM
K
Got a reply from SafeMart!

I got a quick reply today from SafeMart...they admitted that they did, indeed, send out the wrong unit, and have already arranged for the correct one to be sent out to me....Their quick response did impress me (though I still don't quite understand how their shipping department could make such a careless mistake), so I'm a happy camper now.

Old 01-09-09, 09:05 AM
S
Hi all,

All of us at SafeMart would like to apologize for the mistake that we made in sending out the wrong touchpad. Unfortunately, since it was a new item, in an identical sized box to the Simon 3 Touchpad and with almost the same SKU number, our shipping department sent out the incorrect touchpad in at least a few cases.

As you hopefully know, we pride ourselves on our customer service and accurate and quick processing. If anyone else received the incorrect keypad, please call us immediately so that we can ship you the correct version. Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience and look forward to continuing to help many of you meet your home security needs in the future.

SafeMart

(This post was written by an employee of SafeMart. SafeMart specializes in serving the needs of the DIY Home Security Community.)

Old 01-17-09, 05:02 AM
N
Anyone install the correct version yet? How do you like it?

Old 01-17-09, 08:18 AM
K
XT touchpad...

Funny you should just post this message...I just received the correct XT touchpad yesterday. It works fine; no longer does it give me those weird announcements that made no sense. (That incorrectly-sent Simon 3 touchpad did work to arm/disarm my XT system, but the announcements were way off.) Now the announcements match what my XT main panel says.

No chime method, though....sigh...but that's okay for now. At least I now can find out the status. (When I would use my keyfob to arm/disarm the system, I was always wondering whether it "took" or not! It did, but there was always that question in my mind.)

No manual or instructions came with the replacement touchpad, though --- I don't know if that's just because it's so new and they haven't made one up yet, or if it was just forgotten. (I just followed what I had done to program the Simon 3 one --- hit the Lights Off button 6 times.)

Old 01-17-09, 05:44 PM
F
Hi:
I received my Simon XT talking touchpad and the sensor learning on the main panel worked as per the manual. However when I press the status button on the touchpad, the panel merely responds with a beep and so does the touchpad. The touchpad does not make any announcement like the panel does (when I press the status button on the panel it says "system OK" but when I press the same button on the touchpad I hear a beep from both the touchpad and the panel.). I have set the panel to chime when door or window is opened. I am not quite sure why the touchpad does not announce the status. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 01-17-09, 05:50 PM
F
Hi Everyone:
I received the touchpad and the sensor learning worked fine on the panel. However when I press the system status button on the touchpad I only hear a beep from the panel and no voice announcement comes from the touchpad. When I press the arm buttons, the panel beeps and arms, but the touchpad does not announce anything. I have set the panel to chime whenever door/window is opened. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 03-15-09, 11:38 AM
R
Firmware versions:

I see here that the control pad I have been waiting patiently for now requires firmware 1.2? I have a system that is just about a year old that is firmware 0.0H.

Does anyone have any additional info on updating the firmware? On another forum they quoted GE saying basically anyone with an older revision is out of luck. I find this hard to believe, but then again after waiting so long for a remote control panel and (still waiting for) X-10 capability, I might have to revise my belief system.

Old 03-15-09, 05:21 PM
G
Cna't update XT firmware

Yeah the firmware is NOT updateable! GE should have definitely improved that when they went from the Simon 3 to the XT. The XT also needs to be able to power a stronger siren in my opinion. I have the firmware 1.2 but it'll be out of date before you know it.
GI Joe

Old 04-14-09, 12:20 AM
R
Originally Posted by GI Joe
Yeah the firmware is NOT updateable! GE should have definitely improved that when they went from the Simon 3 to the XT. The XT also needs to be able to power a stronger siren in my opinion. I have the firmware 1.2 but it'll be out of date before you know it.
GI Joe
It's odd that the marketing material for GE states otherwise:

"Firmware flash upgrades can be done remotely"

GE Security Products - Simon XT Starter Package without X-10 80-632-3N-XT

That and I do recall the remote keypad function was part of the feature set when it was first released.

Old 04-18-09, 03:12 AM
N
Originally Posted by rworne
It's odd that the marketing material for GE states otherwise:

"Firmware flash upgrades can be done remotely"

GE Security Products - Simon XT Starter Package without X-10 80-632-3N-XT

That and I do recall the remote keypad function was part of the feature set when it was first released.

You would think that anything developed now with firmware would be easily upgradeable! See this thread: http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...-firmware.html

I wish these XT wireless touchpads would start showing up on ebay. The non-XT version is basically given away on ebay. $99 is ridiculous

Old 05-08-09, 12:54 PM
N
Originally Posted by kmatsu
Funny you should just post this message...I just received the correct XT touchpad yesterday. It works fine; no longer does it give me those weird announcements that made no sense. (That incorrectly-sent Simon 3 touchpad did work to arm/disarm my XT system, but the announcements were way off.) Now the announcements match what my XT main panel says.

No chime method, though....sigh...but that's okay for now. At least I now can find out the status. (When I would use my keyfob to arm/disarm the system, I was always wondering whether it "took" or not! It did, but there was always that question in my mind.)

No manual or instructions came with the replacement touchpad, though --- I don't know if that's just because it's so new and they haven't made one up yet, or if it was just forgotten. (I just followed what I had done to program the Simon 3 one --- hit the Lights Off button 6 times.)
So when you use your keyfob, does the touchpad speak the status ("doors and windows armed", etc..). Or do you have to press a button? Is that what chime mode is?

Old 05-08-09, 05:32 PM
K
So when you use your keyfob, does the touchpad speak the status ("doors and windows armed", etc..). Or do you have to press a button? Is that what chime mode is?
No, you still have to press the "Status" button on the touchpad, to hear anything. And, yes, that is what the chime mode means.

Old 05-15-09, 08:59 PM
R
Could someone please tell me when exactly this device talks?

I got the simon XT system installed today, and they installed a four-button arm/disarm switch for a second door of our house. The problem is, we can't tell if the system is armed when we come inside at that door, and don't know if we have to disarm it. We can't hear the main panel from the other door, even if the alarm goes off.

If I switched their silly 4 button touchpad for the talking remote touchpad, would the talking touchpad do anything to prompt for the code upon entering?

The only other way to solve this problem i can think of would be to figure out how to trigger an X10 light to blink alarm status on entry...

Old 05-15-09, 10:20 PM
K
Originally Posted by rabidfurball

I got the simon XT system installed today, and they installed a four-button arm/disarm switch for a second door of our house. The problem is, we can't tell if the system is armed when we come inside at that door, and don't know if we have to disarm it. We can't hear the main panel from the other door, even if the alarm goes off.

If I switched their silly 4 button touchpad for the talking remote touchpad, would the talking touchpad do anything to prompt for the code upon entering?

The only other way to solve this problem i can think of would be to figure out how to trigger an X10 light to blink alarm status on entry...
The talking remote keypad will only speak anything if you press the "Status" button. It will then tell you "Doors and Windows On" if your system is armed, or "Disarmed" if it is not. It will also alert you if any windows or doors are opened. It does not automatically speak when you enter.

Old 05-16-09, 04:50 PM
G
Originally Posted by rabidfurball

The 4 button designline touchpad was NEVER intended to speak..."They" should have known better...

Solutions to your problem...
1. Add an interior siren. It will give you alarm sounds as well as status beeps (arming level beeps included).
2. Add as many X-10 powerhorn sirens as you need. They will give status beeps as well as alarms if programmed correctly.
3. X-10 unit #10 will flash the arming level on any lamp/light switch module.
3. More for those thinking about a Simon and want the touchpad to speak on chime and sound for status and alarms....Get a Simon 3. It's been able to do this for about 2 years.

Old 12-07-09, 01:27 PM
H
GE Guy, do you know if there are any plans to make a Dialogue remote touchpad? So it will do the voice chimes?

Old 12-07-09, 06:31 PM
G
Originally Posted by hawk1996
GE Guy, do you know if there are any plans to make a Dialogue remote touchpad? So it will do the voice chimes?
You will see a "Two Way Talking Touchscreen" at select dealers in the spring. It's got a color touchscreen, is wireless, and will give alarm sounds, status beeps, and voice annunciation among other things....

Old 12-10-09, 01:57 PM
H
WOW, that sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-18-09, 10:18 AM
N
You will see a "Two Way Talking Touchscreen" at select dealers in the spring. It's got a color touchscreen, is wireless, and will give alarm sounds, status beeps, and voice annunciation among other things....
Figures...after I already bought the other one

Let me guess, it won't work with existing units (non-upgradable) firmware?

Old 12-18-09, 12:28 PM
G
Figures...after I already bought the other one

Let me guess, it won't work with existing units (non-upgradable) firmware?
Just tried to learn my color touchscreen into the current software....no dice...

Old 01-23-10, 11:28 AM
D
Which Internal Siren?

I think I have the same problem many people have with the Simon XT and wireless touchpad in that it won't issue chimes and won't announce the status unless you press the status button. Is there another module I can add that will issue chimes and statuses just like the main panel? If someone could point me in the direction of the correct product to accomplish this I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Dave

Old 01-23-10, 05:40 PM
G
X-10 powerhorn siren or hardwire siren run from the panel's outputs.

Old 04-04-10, 12:14 PM
G
2way audio for Simon 3 & xt

In the instance where a Simon 3 or xt would be installed for the mother in law in an adjacent house, can a family member be called instead of a central station in the event of an alert? And then can the main house initiate a 2 way voice conversation with the mother? Is this easy or complicated to do? Does the Simon 3 offer a seperate 2way audio voice box that the xt doesn't? A lot of questions huh ;
Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: