Door contact spacing?

Old 12-27-08, 09:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door contact spacing?

Hey folks.

I'm installing three NX-650's on doors at my parents.

The door of course is offset with the molding around the door. I unfortunately have three separate spacings to deal with.

0.5"
0.75"
1.5"

I was going to just put a piece of wood, maybe 1" x 1.5" or so, to mount the magnet on the door... And the transmitter on the molding.

Is this how most people do it? Spacers seem to be one solution, but they look pretty thin - and well, I guess I'm just looking for confirmation.

I'm pretty happy with the Simon XT so far, by the way.

Old 12-28-08, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 138 Votes on 127 Posts
That will work just fine. When I get ambitious, I pick up 1/4" and 1/2' thick delrin strips from the hardware store, and fabricate spacers out of that, but I only do that when the appearance is critical.

Mostly, I use a long 1/4" drill bit to drill the door header at an angle so that I pop out just above the door casing. The I enlarge the hole for a 3/8" press fit contact and use the hardwired contacts input on the transmitter.

It's not _hard_ to do, it just takes a good eye and a bit of practice.

Old 12-28-08, 07:57 PM
MrRon's suggestion to use a hard wired, recessed contact, wired to the zone terminals on the wireless transmitter is the best option. Details like this are what make a installation go from basic to superb.

Old 12-30-08, 03:30 PM
J
Thanks guys...

I suppose that mounting the transmitter on the door, and the magnet in a slot drilled out of the door molding... is a bad idea? (vibration of the door opening, shutting, would eventually breakdown the transmitter, especially as we use lead free solder these days?)

I am considering the drill a 1/4" hole up through the door molding, and mounting the transmitter above the door... I'd need to find the right press fit contacts... I imagine any would do - but it's not like I can just go to Lowe's to pick up the 12" drill bit and the contacts all conveniently.

Old 12-30-08, 07:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
On a _lightly_ used door, it's an option, but on a heavily used door, what eventually happens, is the the cover tamper switch starts to go wonky from the constant impacts.

Old 12-31-08, 06:51 AM
J
Can someone recommend an appropriate press-fit contact sensor for use with my specific GE transmitter?

I imagine they are quite "universal", but still worth asking as I've never worked with such contacts before. I figure the experts here might know a bit and can recommend something that might be the best to work with.

Thanks

Old 12-31-08, 09:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Nah, they are basically all the same. Buy what's on sale.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: