simon XT with X10 solution

Old 08-18-11, 04:19 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nope, never tried it...what are you trying to accomplish?

Old 08-18-11, 04:55 PM
L
Hi GEGUY,

Hope you have been having a good summer. I am in NY and it has been a hot summer plus plenty of rain.

I have been using the Simon 3 transformer with XT without any problem (well, I ended up buying a XTB-IIR so I can get signals across phase A and B on the distribution board). Like you said, the only issue is with the constantly blinking LCD (I have been checking my GSM signal -- it has never dropped below three bars so the chance of GSM module drawing 1.7A is very slim).

However, I thought of using the X10 Powerflash wired to HW1 I/O and HW1&2 DC so that Powerflash can be triggered to send X10 on/off commands. In that case, I can use the standard Simon XT transformer and that should take care of all the potential issues with power requirements.

I am not quite sure what is the proper wiring X10 Powerflash to HW1 I/O (or HW2 IN) and HW1&2 DC. Should I use Input Mode "A" (Voltage Source) or Input Mode "B" (Contact Closure) on the Powerflash, and should I use a 47 or 4.7 Komh resistor as instructed in Simon XT v2's manual? Again, any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-18-11, 09:42 PM
G
What event(s) are going to trigger the powerflash? Arming? Alarms? Door open/close?...answer depends on these factors.

Old 08-18-11, 10:27 PM
L
Hi GEGUY, it would be on alarm (to trigger the 12 Powerhorns I have in the house). . .So I would set "HW1 Function" to "5". Is resistor (47 Komh or 4.7 Kohm in this case?) really required if "HW siren sup" is set to "off" anyway?

Old 08-19-11, 07:27 AM
G
Sounds good, shouldn't need the resistor...

Old 08-19-11, 08:42 AM
L
Thanks. Should I use Input Mode "A" (Voltage Source) or Input Mode "B" (Contact Closure) on the Powerflash. I think the answer may be "A"?

Old 10-14-11, 11:43 PM
T
Simon XT not powering the Siren + Not connecting to report alarms

Hi GEGuy,

I actually read all the multiple pages of wealth of info in this thread.
Below is my situation:

I ordered Pinnacle Security monitoring service via cell. The guy came in installed Simon XT 1.4 version main panel and 2 touch screens, a few video motion sensors and regular sensors and smoke detector. My home is prewired as well in windows and doors. It was wired by / for ADT.

When this guy came he undid the wiring module from ADT panel and attached a translation module as he called it. He then went ahead and installed the main panel and the two touch screens and then the wireless items.

The issue is that my Simon XT is giving messae "comms error"
The Siren I had wired and installed previously with ADT system is not working any more... in alarm situations it just chokes and crackles... no big sound comes out of it.
Third in alarm situations the panel does not dial out
If I try to arm / disarm the system via alarm.com, it does not arm/disarm the system

Do you think the unit is defective?
Do you think the system is not getting enough power because there are quite a few wired sensors as well in the equation to power and monitor?
Do you think there's a transformer issue like you have said many times - "Simon 3 X-10 Powerline Carrier Transformer"

I am at a loss why this is not working when my neighbor who had the exact same system earlier and got the same replacement as me, it works for him... everything - siren, arming disarming etc.

Appreciate any diagnostic suggestions you can provide.

This is with Pinnacle Systems.

Old 10-15-11, 05:19 PM
G
You mention ADC...I assume they are using this radio for cell communication? If you are unable to arm/disarm via ADC, that would explain the comm error as well...some sort of issue with the radio (poor coverage area, not set up correctly on the dealer website, etc). Pinnacle should have tested this thing before they left your house to make sure all was well...get them back out and have them fix the problems. Translator has it's own power source, so that has nothing to do with the Simon transformer.

Sounds like they kept the old siren you used to have and hooked it up to the XT...Probably never checked to make sure it was compatible. You can use a siren on XT, but you need a low current draw version (250 mA or less)...again, a Pinnacle screw-up.

No, it's not a transformer issue...it's a sloppy install issue...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: