Dsc 832

Old 02-10-09, 04:17 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Dsc 832

I purchased a house last year and opted not to activate the alarm. After a couple of months the keypad started to continuosly beep. I cut off the red wire on the back and also disconnected the wires to the sirens. At the time i did not have the previous owners access code. It has been disconnected for about 8 months. I have since obtained the code and reconnected the wire to the back of the keypad with hopes of using the alarm. The keypad displays what seems to be half 5's and open and the small number 7. Nothing happens when any of the buttons are pushed. I have since learned i should have disconnected the ac power and battery in the first place. How could i fix this

Old 02-10-09, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Disconnect ac and battery power and restart the system.

Old 02-10-09, 11:27 AM
S
Smile Extremely hot

I disconnected the battery and shut of the breaker for a couple of minutes. There was no change Is there a time limit i should wait.Would this happen if the battery was dead. Also when the power is on the circuit board of the keypad gets extremly hot

Old 02-10-09, 04:16 PM
A
You have a broken green data wire. Get a piece of wire 2ft long, take the keypad to the panel wire it in there. see if it works.

Old 02-10-09, 05:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Yes, an extremely hot circuit board is generally a bad sign. Hopefully no permanant damage has been done.

As stated by Alarm Techie, you probably have more than just one wire cut or damaged. If you wire directly to the motherboard terminals and the keypad won't come up, you probably need a new keypad.

Old 02-11-09, 02:57 PM
S
Question The full Monty

Im still not having any luck getting it working.

im not sure if this plays a part but heres what happened as i remember. After we purchased the house we had ourBeer 4U2 cable and phone hooked up ( from a different provider then the alarm was originaly tied to.) Not to long after that the keypad started to continuosly beep. Not taking the time to understand how it worked I simply cut the red wire to the keypad. Of course shortly after that the siren went off. and i simply cut the red wire to that as well. About 8 months later i made contact with the previous owners and got there old code. So i hooked everything back up and that is when i noticed the display was showing what looked like 4 half 5's (the top half) The word open and a small number 7. there was no response with any of the keys. I have since taken all of the above advice with no success. My questions are :

1: Could the disconnection of the phone lines be the cause. im not to familiar with how the whole system works. Where does the infomation and memory come from that the system need to operate.
2: Could me cutting all the wires without powering down the system be the cause
3: Maybe the battery is dead. Could this be the cause
4: Is it possible ADT disconnected the service when i refused to renew the contract when we bought the house Im assuming the system can still run without beig monitored.
5: Maybe I just dont have a clue.

Old 02-11-09, 04:18 PM
A
It sounds like you had a bad panel from jump. No ADT would not have done anything to the panel to cause it to respond this way. The TLM (telephone line monitor) if enabled and set to audible would trip the siren when the phone lines were down. The 4 half 5's could be a keypad issue (bad keypad) or bad alarm panel. My suggestion either call a for service, this way a technician can pinpoint the problem or if you are a DIY'er just buy another panel and replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: