AC Failure trouble on DSC Power 832

Old 02-26-09, 07:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC Failure trouble on DSC Power 832

My system is about 9 & 1/2 years old and has been rock solid until this past week. I got the ac failure trouble light on the LCD5500Z keypad and a call from the monitoring company. So I went to the panel and the breaker was not tripped and I had 17.5 vac into the panel. I even checked the power at the transformer to verify that it was providing power. I disconnected the battery, then reset the ac power. The panel would not power up. I tried this several times before it would power up. I did not reconnect the battery at this time but proceeded to the keypad to reset the date/time. As soon as I finished entering the time and pressed the # key, the keypad went dark. Checked panel and I still had 17.5 vac into panel with no DC being supplied to battery. Removed ac power and restored but panel would not power up. I had to wait about 5 minutes for it to restore. So when it did power up, I reconnected the battery, then reset date and time. This time it lasted about 10 Minutes before it lost ac power. But the power was still being supplied by the transformer.
So I thought maybe one of the devices on system is going bad, drawing excess current and the board is shutting down in safety mode. So I remove power to the smoke detector and restored system. This time I had a KEYBUS ERROR on keypad and could not do anything. So I removed battery and ac power, waited a minute and restore power. This time I only had to reset the date/time. It took about 2 hours before the ac failure came back on. So I powered down, reconnected the smoke and disconnected the glass break detector. I did all the same steps and it only lasted about 30 minutes before ac failure alarm came on. I tried the bell ckt. this time and got the KEYBUS ERROR again. So I reset everything and the keybus error was gone. I was able to go about 4 hours before the ac failure came in. So I removed one keypad which brought on the SERVICE REQUIRED alarm but system operated ok for about 2 hours. So I put that keypad back in service and removed the second one. I did get the service required alarm but was able to go about 10 hours before the ac failure alarm came in. This time it acted a little differently than before, but it could be that it occurred around 4 AM and I did not feel like getting up to power down the system.
This time it would go into ac failure for about 20 minutes then clear for about 10 minutes. It was still doing this when I got up about 7 and by 8 the ac failure was on steady. The board does not feel hot as if it was an overcurrent situation nor is there any smell like something is getting hot.
So should I replace the PC5010 with a new 1832 board or is there something I am overlooking. If I did not mention it above, the transformer is not overheating, cutting power to the panel, unless it is only momentary. But the alarm should clear when the transformer starts supplying power again, right?
Also, is there a way to "black start" the panel on DC without first having to have the AC supplied? I know the FBI panels can do this?
Thanks for any help you can give to get me pointed in the right direction.
Steve

Old 02-27-09, 04:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
These systems have a PTC device in the power supply circuit (think solid state thermal fuse). This is a symptom of the failure of that circuit. There is no easy fix for this. You need a new motherboard.

Old 02-27-09, 02:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is what I was afraid of!

That is what I thought is was from the start but others said it was best to eliminate some of the other devices before replacing the main board.
Is there a way to start the board on DC without having to connect AC first?
Thanks for the hel[.
Steve

Old 02-28-09, 08:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
No, these systems will not cold start on battery power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: