Self monitoring security

Old 03-07-09, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 59 Posts
Self monitoring security

I have been thinking of a security system and am thinking that a system that calls my cell phone if there is an alarm. Then I can choose the best course of action. I found out these are out there when I heard about x10 but this page: X10.com - Security Cameras, X10 Home Security, Wireless Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More! REALLY gives me the willies. It just screams scam. Are there any systems out there that people have installed that they can recommend?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-09, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
If you read through the stickys at the top of the forum and many of the archived posts, you will see that most modern alarm systems can call your phone with varying degrees of useful information. There is also the option of adding a voice dialer to most any alarm system.

The X10 branded stuff isn't a scam, per se, but they are notorious for rather obnoxious web ads,

X-10 is actually a protocal for power line carrier data transmision, and has it's uses. These folks were able to trademark it as a business name. They didn't originate the protocal, though.