ADT Safewatch Pro 2000 upgrade to Cellular and new service

Old 03-15-09, 02:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ADT Safewatch Pro 2000 upgrade to Cellular and new service

I have an ADT installed panel and want to change to cellular communications with optional Internet. I have been perusing many web sites and forums for the past couple of weeks and found that I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information.

My system is about 10 years old:
Safewatch Pro 2000 - Vista-20ADT with new "E2" programming
12 Ademco model # 5816 wireless window sensors
4 wired door sensors
3 wired basement sensors
1 wired motion detector
1 wired keypad

I have two zones unused

I am happy with the hardware, just replaced all the batteries in the wireless sensors and panel
I will be selecting a new monitoring service
I have broadband access (no VoIP)
I live in a large metropolitan area with good cell coverage. Confirmed a good area for Alarmnet.com

Requirements:
1) use cellular as primary communications
2) compatible with existing equipment with necessary add-on(s)
3) add 3 wired smoke alarms (one zone)
4) add 1 wired water sensor (one zone)
5) add 1 wired/wireless motion detector (possibly add to another zone or replace existing motion detector)
6) user programmable

Optional:
- Broadband communications as primary or backup used in conjunction with cellular

Questions:
1) Is there a combination of new hardware and monitoring services that will work with my existing hardware and meet my requirements? If yes, do you have a recommendation for either the hardware or service?

2) Do I start by identifying a new monitoring service or hardware?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-09, 06:10 PM
Requirements:
1) use cellular as primary communications
This can be done with a Honeywell 7845GSMR or Telguard TG1, TG4 or TG11.
2) compatible with existing equipment with necessary add-on(s)
All of the above communicators are compatible, although I don't think the 7845GSMR nor the TG11 will do ECP mode on your panel. You can upgrade the panel to a Vista 20P
3) add 3 wired smoke alarms (one zone)
Easy enough, limited only by the ability to run the wire. I would use three "2-Wire" smokes in parallel, must be on zone 1

4) add 1 wired water sensor (one zone)
Again, easy enough, as long as you can run the wire. Make sure to use a 4-Wire device for power.
5) add 1 wired/wireless motion detector (possibly add to another zone or replace existing motion detector)
No problem
6) user programmable
Depends, what keypad do you have? If you have a 6128or 6150, then you will have to get an alpha keypad to access programming.

Optional:
- Broadband communications as primary or backup used in conjunction with cellular
This can be done with a 7845iGSM
Questions:
1) Is there a combination of new hardware and monitoring services that will work with my existing hardware and meet my requirements?

Yes, but might be harder for a DIYer to find a CS that will support Alarmnet, Telguard etc...

If yes, do you have a recommendation for either the hardware or service?
Use the AlarmNet or TG11 if you upgrade to a Vista 20P panel, both communicate over the ECP bus. Use the Telguard TG1 or TG4 if you are going to keep your existing panel.

2) Do I start by identifying a new monitoring service or hardware?

Probally easiest to decide on what hardware you want to use, then find a Central Station that supports your hardware and will work with a DIYer.

Sounds like you are on the right track, just don't get overwhelmed.

Last edited by kcxj; 03-15-09 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 08:29 PM
G
Thanks kcxj,

I am looking at possibly upgrading to a Vista20P or Vista21iP. The Vista21iP offers both an integrated Internet connection and an addon GSM daughter module compatible with Alarmnet.

Looks like I could reuse all my wireless and wired sensors.

I'll post more information as I decide.

My panel is in my basement. I get good cell coverage in my basement and the AT&T Coverage Map gives me excellent coverage for my address but would I have trouble with the VISTA-GSM snap-on module located in my basement?

Old 03-19-09, 06:36 PM
G
That darn ADT contract ...

I spent a little time today with a gentleman at DoItYourSelfSecuritySystems.com. We determined that all I would need was the Honeywell Ademco AlarmNet 7845GSMR Digital GSM Cellular Communicator.

With this module, I had the choice to move to the AlarmNet service.

But, I finally found my ADT contract signed in the fall of 2000. Was I surprised. The contract was for 3 years and automatically renews afterwards for two years on the contract anniversary. I also read that the equipment remains the property of ADT. Ouch. I wonder what I was thinking back in 2000.

This will not only delay me for 6 months but I will also be looking for a new system. I am sure I will be visiting DoItYourSelfSecuritySystems.com when I do.

Old 03-19-09, 07:04 PM
G
ADT contract NOT

I just got off the phone with John at ADT and he said my contract expired after the 3rd year and did not automatically renew and they do not want the equipment back. When I told John about the verbage in my contract (form dated 1997), he was surprised and had never heard of this. He was very courteous during the enitre conversation.

I am assumimg ADT cancelled my contract at the first anniversary, which is their prerogative and I am on a month-to-month basis .

So back to where I was before. I will confirm one more time with DoItYourSelfSecuritySystems.com about the GSM module and soon be free of my land line.

I currently have access to my panel via the installer code, which I will need to add the GSM module, the smoke alarms, and the water sensor. Can ADT log into my system and disable my panel over the phone line?

Old 03-20-09, 11:35 AM
Looks like your panel should do ECP mode if your revision is .12 or higher. If not, you will have to do zone mode. Good luck

Old 03-21-09, 07:28 AM
G
Is there a way I can look at my revision? I have the installer code.

Old 03-21-09, 10:07 AM
just open the box and look at the chip on the board

Old 04-01-09, 02:35 PM
G
Success with 7845GSM and ADT panal VISTA-20ADT

Got this combination to work easily.

From what I can tell, the VISTA-20ADT is the same as a VISTA-20P except ADT disables the second partition.

Ordered my equipment from SAFEMART.COM and also bought their monitoring service. They said they use Criticom. Alarmnet handles the cellular.

The tech support was great at SAFEMART. I had a loose wire on one of my connections between the panel and the GSM which was throwing an error code of 0880. The guy had me re-check my connections, I resecured the loose connection and all is well.

I still need to hook up my new water sensors and smoke/heat detectors.

Side note: Both the VISTA-20P and the ADT user's guide state to change the master code you enter <existing code> + 802 + <new code> + <new code>. I had to use 801 instead of 802.