DIY Security Systems

Old 03-20-09, 07:09 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY Security Systems

I'd like to install a wired security system in the log house I'm currently building. Radio Shack used to sell a system which I put in another log house over 20 years ago, but I don't think they sell it any more.

I don't want to go with one of the "name" companies because I don't want wireless and I don't want the system to be monitored. Where I'm building, LEO response time is generally 30 minutes or more so monitoring would be a waste of money. A very loud siren and friendly neighbors with guns will work a lot better.

Does anyone know where I might find a DIY system?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 08:05 AM
P
I doubt you can find a simple hardwired system anymore. Electronics have gotten so cheap, even a GE Concord 4 can be purchased online for $129. However, if you want a 19 year old, perfectly good control box and remote pad, I just pulled one and replace it with a new Concord 4. You will have to add the wiring, door contacts, siren, power supply, etc. but you are welcome to it for the cost of shipping.

Old 03-20-09, 08:10 AM
M
Thanks for the generous offer, but I'll pass.

I guess if I wasn't so lazy and had Googled first, I'd have found lots of DIY systems are out there.