Ademco Vista 10SE Resetting codes

Old 04-02-09, 06:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco Vista 10SE Resetting codes

Hello to all,
First of all I would like to say that this is an amazing forum for people like us that like to do their own projects and that I been reading it for a while but this is the first time I'm posting on it.
This is my problem:
I bought a foreclosed house that had many owners before and of course I don't have the master, code or any code for that matter, and one of the window sensors is missing its magnet so the alarm is showing "not ready". My question is: How can I reset the alarm so that I can program my own codes? And can I do this in the "not ready" state or do I need to get the magnet first? Also one last thing the back-up battery is probably old, how long do these batteries last, when do they need replacement?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-09, 07:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
First start by going through the sticky titled "Alarm Forum FAQ (Please read before posting). This is a pretty common question, and the basic instructions for extracting the installer code from a Vista panel is in there.

Then plug the following phrase into your favorite search engine: "Vista 10se installer manual"

Once you have the installer code, you can set a new master user code using the instructions in the manual. None of this requires the system to be "ready".

Batteries normally last 5-7 years, on average.

Old 04-03-09, 11:07 PM
C
Thank you

Mr Ron
Thank you for your response, I'm extremely sorry for not having read the FAQ's I apologize. I'm at work but as soon as I get home I will get started on my alarm. I hope everything still works well. One last question; that day when I reconnected the transformer and had the system powered up for a couple of hours then disconnected everything and left for work about 40 minutes later, I noticed that the key pad still had power going to it; so I thought to myself "it was only hooked up about two hours and the battery recharged enough to still have power 40 minutes after being disconnected, that means battery's still good". The morning after my wife told me an alarm had waken her up, at first she did not know what it was, she said it was not one of our alarm clocks. So I explained what I had done the night before and she said "that's what it was". All this means the battery is definitely good, right?

Old 04-04-09, 09:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The battery may be borderline, and only shows an issue under the load test that the system automatically applies every 24 hours.

The easiest test for that is to put a multimeter on the battery then kill the AC power to the alarm system. If the battery stays above 12 volts under load, then it's good for at least a while.

Old 04-05-09, 07:47 PM
C
Got It!

Thanks for your advise on the battery issue.
Also an update: I got my alarm working! the only problem now is that the keypad's speaker appears to not be working because I do not get the beeps for the entry delay, exit delay, chime or any alert for that matter. I came to the conclusion that the speaker is not functional, and of course the missing magnet that I've been looking for in hardware stores but no one seems to have them. Can you recommend a good website for replacement keypads and the most important thing, which keypads will work on the vista 10se? Again thank you all for helping!

Old 04-06-09, 12:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The easiest way to get a replacement magnet for alarm contacts is to simply buy an alarm contact set, and set aside the switch for future repairs (the search phrase to use is "security alarm contact".

The 6128, 6139, 1650 or 6160 (and most of their variations) will replace your keypad. It's not unusual. Sometimes when an alarm is having problems, people will cut the wires to the piezo/speaker. Sometimes they just fail.

It's like any other online shopping thing. Look at the vendor sites and make your judgment call. I get this stuff from a wholesale distributor, so I have no real comparison for retail.