Converting from monitored system with ADT to monitoring myself

Old 05-04-09, 09:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting from monitored system with ADT to monitoring myself

Hello,

I have an Ademco system that was probably installed by ADT and is currently monitored by them as well. For a number of reasons I want to stop paying to have it monitored and have it dial my cell if it goes off. Currently we only have 3 doors and a motion detector set up on it. We never use the motion detector because we have 2 dogs and a cat. I am looking at the cost to convert this system to include an upgraded motion detector that is pet sensitive (all under 100#), some glass break sensors, and possibly key fabs and cameras. We only have a 1 story house and I think I could do the stuff myself with a little guidance on what to get.

How do I know if my current system is capable of calling my cell?
How do I know if my current system is capable of all these add ons?
What equipment would you recommend for these additions?
Will I need any additional components for my pc or will the cameras also work through the alarm system?

THANKS MUCH,
AJ

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-09, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Start with the specific model number (see the sticky titled "Alarm Forum FAQ: Please read before posting" for info that will help you sort out the ID of your hardware.

Old 05-04-09, 11:20 AM
A
found the type.

Ok, so after much searching it appears I have the Ademco K5305-1 / K5307-1. It says to refer to the K5405-1 but in the lower right corner it says it is the K5307-1. One the computer board it does have a sticker with a date of 2002 on it, so I am hoping this system will work for what I want to do with it.

Old 05-04-09, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by ajjmh View Post
Hello,

I have an Ademco system that was probably installed by ADT and is currently monitored by them as well. For a number of reasons I want to stop paying to have it monitored and have it dial my cell if it goes off.

What happens when you cannot make it to the phone? Or are being robbed?

Currently we only have 3 doors and a motion detector set up on it. We never use the motion detector because we have 2 dogs and a cat. I am looking at the cost to convert this system to include an upgraded motion detector that is pet sensitive (all under 100#)

A 100 lb. pet immune motion detector is ridiculous, there are burglars that weigh less than that! Either kennel the dogs or you can mount the motion detect just above their height and reverse the detector to create a pet alley.

, some glass break sensors, and possibly key fabs

These could be added to your existing system you will need a wireless receiver for the keyfobs

and cameras.

Cameras are not usually integrated with the burglar alarm

We only have a 1 story house and I think I could do the stuff myself with a little guidance on what to get.

How do I know if my current system is capable of calling my cell?

What is the model number of the panel? This is the beige, metal box. My guess is Safewatch 2000

How do I know if my current system is capable of all these add ons?

Depends on the model number

What equipment would you recommend for these additions?
Will I need any additional components for my pc or will the cameras also work through the alarm system?

Depends. Most people use a standalone DVR with embedded software. You can make a DVR out of a PC with a capture card, but I would not use it for much else.

THANKS MUCH,
AJ
AJ, I applaud you for looking into doing this yourself, however, it is very difficult to adequately self monitor your alarm system. For example, if you are being held hostage or if you are in a business meeting, you will not be able to call for help. Also, many AHJ's will not dispatch when a homeowner calls to report an alarm (alarm companies have license numbers and permits, etc.)

I would shop around for another alarm provider if you want to save some cost. There are companies that could monitor your system for less than half you are paying ADT

Old 05-04-09, 02:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by ajjmh View Post
Ok, so after much searching it appears I have the Ademco K5305-1 / K5307-1. It says to refer to the K5405-1 but in the lower right corner it says it is the K5307-1. One the computer board it does have a sticker with a date of 2002 on it, so I am hoping this system will work for what I want to do with it.
(sigh) I guess you didn't read the FAQ. _That_ is the part number for the keypad housing.

The _keypad_ is not the alarm system, it's just an interface, and especially on ademco design systems, the same keypads work on nearly all models, especially recent ones.

Look in your closets, basement etc for a grey or beige metal box. Inside will be the system motherboard and a battery. 98% of the time there will be a wiring diagram glued to the door of the box. The model number is written on the diagram.