Ademco Dead Keypads

Old 05-06-09, 03:46 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco Dead Keypads

Ok i know my system is a dinosaur but am still hoping to get it working i have an ademco 5720 panel with 2 alpha 5330 keypads last night before i went to bed i armed my alarm for stay this morning when i woke up both keypads were completely dead. I didn't know if when i opened my front door if it would go off so i attempted it and keypads were still deadd but then about 30 seconds my siren went off but i couldn't shut it off via the keypad so i had to pull the transformer and that silenced the alarm. So the panel board is functioning to some extent so i know the board still works. I checked all the fuses in the panel and they are all good. What does my issue sound like? Could the board be toast?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-09, 04:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 84 Posts
Try disconnecting the keypads and reconnecting 1 at a time, alternating the keypads. If one of the keypads has had a major failure, it could be keeping the other from working.

Otherwise, given that you have checked the obvious things like wiring connections and fuses, signs point to new alarm hardware in your future.

Old 05-06-09, 08:06 AM
R
Ok i believe i got it working again i redid the connections and replaced the main keypad wire and it lights up the thing is it keeps beeping and says enter security code. I tried the temporary code and i believe i tried the master code but it is not working what do i have to do?

Old 05-06-09, 08:34 AM
A
i think its time for a new hardware i would suggest a Vista 20

Old 05-06-09, 05:45 PM
R
Good news got the keypads working turns out when i replaced the wire i had a wire crossed . But just have a few questions my second keypad is piggybacked off the first keypad at the keypad question is what is the best way to join the 3 wires togather the way i did it a year or so ago when i had to replace the wire going to the second keypad is i used 3m crimp connectors they call them UR connectors u put all the wires inside little round thing and press down on circle and it crimps the wires is it possible that one of the connections failed after a year and that is why my keypads went dead? Would i be better off with a wire nut or soldiering them togather?

Next question is when keypads went dead and my siren went off after i opened my door to silence the alarm i pulled the transformer out from the outlet and the alarm shut off my question is how come the backup battery didn't take over? The backup battery is fairly new i replaced it last year it is a 6 volt 4.5 ah. Could the battery be defective. I checked the terminals and the panel is putting out about 6.85 volt to charge the battery any thoughts?

Old 05-06-09, 06:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
On a guess, it's the fact that the system is very old, and the mechanism that switches from AC to battery may be unreliable.

Check the battery under load. Sometimes even new batteries, especially these small ones, are bad out of the box. The quality of the charger in the alarm can have a bearing on this.

Old 05-07-09, 07:47 AM
R
I just replaced the battery this morning was at home depot i saw a lithonia lighting battery. I think these are the batterys they put in backup lights. It is a 6 volt 6.5 ah. It fits in the panel is it OK to increase the AH the old one was 6 volt 4.5 AH?

Again how do you recommond i adjoin the 3 wires behind keypad to piggyback second keypad? As i said in above post a year or so ago i had to replace damaged wire going to second keypad when i redid connections a year or so ago i used the 3m UR connectors they are like round and when u push down on red circle it crimps onto the wires are they usually reliable? Is it possible that one of these connectors failed and thats why my keypads died? What is the best way to adjoin wires Wirenuts or soldiering them togather or leave as is with 3m UR connectors

they look like this
IDC Connectors and Crimpers, Connect Any 2 or 3 Wire Combination -- Tool Kits, Tool Sets, Test Equipment, Shipping Cases...

Thanks for your advice

Old 05-07-09, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Those 3-M "Scotchlock" crimps should work just fine. Most likely, you just made a bad crimp or had a wire that broke off (some wire gets brittle with age).

You can also use the crimps that look similar to a standard wirenut.