Help me put together a security system like this

Old 05-13-09, 07:26 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help me put together a security system like this

I live in a rural area, so anything that is coming on to my property is either uninvited, or I know about it in advance.
I want cameras that detect motion, along with some software that they feed into. The cameras should work at night. However, if the neighbors kids are coming into the yard, then I dont want to get 10 million images or text message alerts in the span of 5 minutes. Im very computer savy, so I can network everything, but Id like to get some suggestions for a list of components to start with, along with the software. Budget is maybe $500-1000.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-09, 08:57 PM
A
Cameras don't do the motion detecting. The DVR they are conneted to does that. The DVR's have a sensitivity setting and an alarm when it detects motion, but that's not going to discrimminate kids in your yard or deer or any other wildlife. Also I've found that Day/Night (LED) Cameras are more sensitive at night when they switch to black & white so they do alot of recording when there's no motion. In short, I wouldn't use cameras for detection senarios.
Good cameras will cost you about $300.00 each
DVR's start at $450 and up depending on how many channels (Cameras) you're looking to install.
Unless you by one of those kits from Costco. I installed one of those kits for a customer that he purchased. The DVR wasn't bad, but I wasn't crazy about the cameras.

Old 05-26-09, 11:35 PM
I
Get a few obscure wildlife cams. Put them in areas you suspect kids to be hanging out.

It will snap photos if it detects movement.

I know people will leave these in woods for weeks between checking them. So i would assume this would have a lot of cameras.

It wont allow you to go out during and catch them red handed, but will allow you evidence to bring to parents, police, etc.