DSC Power 832 - Battery won't charge

Old 05-17-09, 06:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC Power 832 - Battery won't charge

Hey gang,

I have DSC Power 832 PC5010 system. Used to have it monitored a few years ago and let it lapse. Anyhow, thought I would try to reactivate it with out the phone monitoring. I bought a new battery, everything works OK except the battery will not charge. I then charged it with my car charger and it would last a day or so. I get about 17 volts at the first 2 channel of AC so it appears the AC transformer is doing its job but the battery slowly goes down in voltage the longer it's hooked up. I thought one of the sensor may be pulling the voltage down so I disconnected one at a time the siren and each of the 8 zones I have connected. I was hoping that once I disconnected a zone I would read over 12 volts on the battery with the AC still hooked up, but no luck, voltage really didn't change much. Do you think I need a new board?
Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-09, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Check the voltage at the battery terminals without the battery connected. It's possible you got your hands on a bum battery that is failing to truely take a charge. If you get 13v without the battery, then you might need to do a real load test on the battery.

It is not unheard of for the battery charging circuit of these DSC systems to fail, but something about this doesn't sound quite right.

Old 05-18-09, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Battery won't hold charge

Charged the battery overnight with the car charger. Battery on bench checks 13.4 v. I hooked up battery to terminals in box and got the same 13.4 Noticed I did not get a chirp when the AC was plugged in and measured AC at first 2 terminals, nothing. Saw that the red positive lead pulled out of the ring terminal on the AC transformer. (when the transformer is removed it was hanging by the 2 wires) Recrimped it and now get 13.8 on the battery with the leads connected and AC plugged in.
Hopefully this was it and it'll hold the charge.

Old 05-18-09, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Yup, intermittant AC power will do a number on the battery.