ademco 5890 wireless motion detector stopped working

Old 05-25-09, 01:24 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ademco 5890 wireless motion detector stopped working

Hi all,
I wonder if anybody has experienced this before or I'm the first one. I have Vista-20P for few months already. I have never changed the configuration since I programmed the system few months ago. One of the sensors - wireless motion detector 5890 stopped sending alarm signal about a week ago. It is not dead though - if I open the sensor it triggers temper alarm. So batteries are definitely not dead and the system does recognize it since the system reacts on the temper switch inside the sensor. Also, if I put the sensor into the Test mode, red LED on the sensor lights up upon motion. It looks like all features work except sending alarm signal upon motion.
The sensor was originally at the Zone12. During troubleshooting I deleted Zone12 and enrolled this sensor at Zone13, but result is exactly the same - temper switch does trigger temper alarm, but motion detection does not send alarm signal. This sensor has Zone Type 1 (Entry/Exit), Partition 1, Loop 1
I appreciate any tips. I don't know what could be causing this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-09, 03:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
If it's programmed as a standard interior zone, when you are arming the system, are you opening and closing an entry/exit door? Otherwise, the system automatically reverts to stay mode and bypasses the motions. Also, even in stay mode, the exit delay still has to time out before the system is actually armed.

Old 05-25-09, 04:55 PM
Y
MrRonFL, I tried it with Instant alarm while staying inside, so no doors were opened. And it doesn't trigger chime either as all other sensors do. Until a week ago this motion sensor was triggering both chime and alarm as any other sensor does...
A week ago (when this sensor worked fine) it would go to "sleep" mode for 3 minutes or so after it sends a motion signal. The state it is in now looks pretty much like that "sleep" mode, except that it has been like that for a week already.

Old 12-01-12, 07:11 AM
Y
Experiensing Same Problem

ymg200: I have recently experiensed the same problems as you had in 2009. What have you done to resolve the problems finally?

Old 12-01-12, 07:27 AM
Y
MrRonFL, I often set Ademco/Honeywell system to "Away" mode w/o opening and closing a door at night. It always triggers alarm if I move into sensor detectable area but forget to set the system to "Off" mode. It seems the system does not revert to "Stay" mode automatically.

Old 12-01-12, 09:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That means that your motion detector(s) are probably programmed as something other than an interior zone. Alarm system zones do what they are configured to do, and (with _very_ rare exceptions, the programming does not change without human assistance).

Old 12-01-12, 10:09 AM
Y
MrRonFL,

Thank you. My system was originally installed by ADT. I switched to The Monitoring Center 30 months ago. I like the Away mode when no one sleeps in downstairs bedroom as all sensors are put to work.

About 2 weeks ago, the display beeped and showed "12 Check". I replaced its batteries, and found the 5890 may malfunction, just like ymp200 described in 2009. In Test mode, the 5890 in question lights red LED when detecting motion. However in Normal mode, it does not trigger system to beep while I walk in front it back and forth.

The other two 5890's functions normally. They trigger system to beep immediately as I walk into their detectable zones. I have to bypass these 2 zones in order to test zone 12.

Could you advise?

Old 12-01-12, 09:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Again, without knowing how your zones are configured, we can only guess.

Wireless motions have a time out mechanism. They only actually trip once a minute or two when there is a lot of activity in the room. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

Again, in normal mode, if the motion is programmed as an interior zone _it will not chime_. This, too is a normal function.

At this point, you have provided two, somewhat contradictory behaviors from supposedly the same devices.

What _model_ is your system? Do you have a manual?

Old 12-02-12, 02:12 AM
Y
The 2 PCB's have marks as follows:

1) RF RECEIVER PCB
SA5881-MED K
A149
W33998

2) LARGE PCB:
SA146GENC
WO34475

There are 2 documents inside the system box cover:

- Summary of Connections RF RECEIVERS: 4281/5881/5882 N7636V2 10/96
- Summary of Connections ADT "Safewatch Pro" & "Security Manager" N8371-1 10/97

I have "Security Manager" display and keypad.

Zones 11, 12 & 13 are 5890 motion sensors. Zones 10 & 14 are door sensors.

I just did a test of bypassing Zones 11 & 13, setting system to "Away", opening & closing front door, waiting for 3 min and then walking into Zone 12 detectable area. The system was not triggered to beep.

Old 12-02-12, 10:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Based on the age, your system is a modified Vista 20se or a Vista 10se (if there are 8 hardwired inputs (used or not) it's a 20se; if there are only 6, it's a 10se)
Vista 20se manual: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...on/v20seii.pdf
Vista 10se manual: http://www.ameritechsystems.net/publ...stallation.pdf

Simple test: bypass everything except for the motion you are trying to check. Keep people and pets out of the area it covers for at least 5 minutes. Have a helper walk around the area while you watch the keypad and see if the "ready" light goes out. If it does, then the motion is working correctly. If not, then the device may be failing.

It's possible that you have a failing motion. If so, all you can do is replace it. The problem is that you need a 2-line alpha keypad to get to the programming menus to replace the device. (If your system only displays 2-digit zone numbers, then it's not the right keypad).

Old 12-02-12, 11:17 AM
Y
MrRonFL,

Thank you so much for theh info. It's Visat 10se (w/ 6 hardwired resisters). The installtion manual N7227 matches the P/N on the Summary of Connections.

I did the test you suggested. I bypassed zones 11 & 13, set to Away mode, waited 8 min, and walked into zone 12. I stared video recording the display before I walked into zone 12. 1-min recording shows no change to "Away" "Bypass" on display.

I will repeat the test (a) to open/close door, and (b) to relocate the 5890 in question.

Old 12-02-12, 03:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually, you didn't do the test I suggested. In the test I was suggesting you don't _arm_ the system. You are just looking for a change from ready to not ready with the system disarmed. That removes the auto bypass feature from the equation.