Problems with carbon monoxide detector after I moved it.

Old 05-26-09, 03:50 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems with carbon monoxide detector after I moved it.

Hello all. I finished my basement a few weeks ago and the final task was to move the carbon monoxide detector and the glass shatter sensor to another room. My entire alarm system was working perfectly before I moved....I think.(we have a dog and cat so the bypass is always used)

So, I removed the carbon monoxide unit from the wall, and cut the wire leading to it, leaving the 4 ends intact so i can rewire properly. As I cut the wire, the alarm went off and my monitoring company called me.

Next I moved the carbon monoxide to the new space, and re wired, using 22 gauge wire. I made the final connection and nothing happens. The LED will not light on my carbon monoxide , the alarm boxpanel is showing faults in 3 different zones, and the upstairs carbon monoxide and glass shatter sensors are now off also.

The alarm panel that i use (entry keypad) is the gemini gem-rp1cae2. and the carbon monoxide detecor in my house is ge 240CO - GE

Any ideas what could have gone wrong? I even tried to rewire it thinking possibly i wired incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-09, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 84 Posts
The odds are that when you cut the wire, not only did you trigger the alarm, you most likely also blew the fuse.

Remember, the keypad is not the alarm. Check the fuses on the motherboard in the metal box with the battery.

Old 05-26-09, 07:20 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face

Thanks for the advise. Are the fuses like regular car fuses? Easy to find and easy to spot a broken fuse?

Also, the box (motherboard) is locked in my basement and I believe only the security company who installed it has the key. Is this common for the home owner to not have a key?

The door locking the security system is flimsy and I can easily take the hinges off to gain access. I just dont want to make the security company mad. Your thoughts?.

And again, thanks so much for the time you have spent with my inquiries.

Old 05-27-09, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 84 Posts
A good chunk of the time, the key is tucked on top of the system enclosure.

Otherwise, unless you are leasing the hardware, the system box is yours to do what you want. Sometimes, there is a tamper switch on the door, but you can always call them to find out.

The fuses are the miniature glass cartridge fuses like old-school car fuses.

Some of the older Napco models had fuses that were soldered to the MB. Without knowing your actual system model, it's a bit of a guessing game.