PC5010 - DCS 832: Monitoring PGM1 on a rs-232 port

Old 05-26-09, 08:30 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC5010 - DCS 832: Monitoring PGM1 on a rs-232 port

Hi,

I have a DSC Power 832 (pc5010) alarm system. I don't have a phone line, but I would instead like to receive an email whenever an alarm is triggered. I figured one easy way would be to run a wire from the PGM1 output to a serial rs232 connector, and then plug it into my PC which is just next to the alarm panel.. and then write a software that sends me an email if the the bit on the serial port is triggered. Sounds simple.. but surely someone has already done this.. right?

So here are my questions:
1- Any better idea than what I am proposing above? Any advice suggestions?

2- What are the voltage outputs of the PGM 1?

3- Any software already existing for monitoring a bit on a serial port (that does what I want?) Otherwise I'll write it myself..

4- Even better: Can I get the DATA from the communicator module (such as what the alarm central would receive on their computer) like what was the trigger, which section have been violated, etc...?

5- Any special consideration I should watch out for in my wiring (resistors or circuit protection items)?

I can't imagine someone hasn't already done so...

Thanks a lot.

Old 05-27-09, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
The PGM is normally a switch to ground, and the system runs on 12vdc. Not a good mix for computer data ports.

Rather than re-invent the wheel:

DSC

If you want something more capable:

DSC

or

DSC

That last one is specifically listed for the current Power series panels, but the first and second should work for even the older models like yours.

Check their site and specs.

Old 05-27-09, 07:10 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thks. I don't think the 3rd item is for me since it only talks about using a phone to remote access my alarm system, but the 2nd one should do the job, pending I can trigger an email.

Thx again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: