Pre-existing wiring for security system, need the system

Old 05-26-09, 11:37 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pre-existing wiring for security system, need the system

Hello all,

I am a 100% home security person. I had moved into a place where it is pre wired for pretty much everything except in basement (more on later)

It has motion sensors, wires for smoke detectors, garage door sensers, temp sensors, thermostat controlls, etc.

All these wires run to a labeled jumble electrical taped in the basement.

We also have a CCTV system for outside and babys room

The strangest thing is that all these wires are here, but I never saw any wiring near doors for the system, so I assume it is intended to use wireless keypads etc.

What is a good, basic, entry level system that could at the very least hook up to all the pre-existing sensors, motion detectors, etc?

Are any systems capable of being accessed online?

Any good to be hooked up with home monitoring options, such as things like X10's wireless lighting, etc. (X10 itself seemed to just be all wireless, or only have a few sensor hookups, I have 30 different sets of wires)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-09, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
The odds are that you have keypad drops near at least one exit, and probably in the master suite. Typically in a prewire, the drywall hangers wall them over, because few prewire companies use junction boxes.

If the wires are labeled, you should be able to at least get the right general location to look.
The way to find them is to find a tool rental place, and rent a wire tone tracer set for a couple of days.

Only a few brands have full function wireless keypads, and _none_ of these can be used as primary keypads.

Read through the various posts. That will give you a good idea of the pros and cons of various brands and models.

Old 05-27-09, 10:45 AM
I
Thanks MR ron.

I will def look into the tracer. Forgot all about that

Old 05-27-09, 11:02 AM
I
Do they normally staple them to the walls? or how do they usually wire them?

Old 05-27-09, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Usually, most will drop them down the studs, then "butterfly" 2-3 feet at about chest height within a couple of feet of the door they are associated with.

That's how you can zero in with the toner, because there's a loop of wire there, the signal is often a bit stronger.