Ademco vista 20P

Old 05-27-09, 10:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco vista 20P

i bought a vista 20p with a 6150 keypad. i've read lots and lots of pages, and still can not configure the alarm system. All i need is setting up 6 zone for 5 windows and 1 door. does anyone has a list of commands to "press" in. i am very new to this thing and so confused. thank you. and yes, i do have all the manual for the system but still can't figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-09, 11:17 AM
You need an alphanumeric keypad to program the system.

Old 05-29-09, 06:42 AM
B
I am a newbie on this system, please take it easy on me. I've read lots and lots of stuff but still make no sense.
i need some help here guys....

1. can the system run without the battery? do i need a battery connected to the board? I kept getting message SYSTEM LO BAT.

2. i have a 6139 alphanumeric key pad and was able to configure zones. How do i program the 4 buttons on the left of the keypad?

3. How do i set the alpha custom zone name? (eg. Front door, back door). #4 and #6 only move forward and backward.

4. setting up a zone. My door is on zone 2, hard wired to 10 and 11. It is set TYPE 01, hardwire type 2. Should door and windows are NORMAL CLOSE? But 2 is Normal Open, 1 is Normal Close, 0 is EOL. if i set it at 1, normal close, when i open the door, it won't show fault. I have to set hardwire type = 2 to make it chime. why is that?

5. how do i turn off the beep noise when programming?

thank you very much for all your help. I am still leaning this system.

Old 05-29-09, 03:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
First, you have to accept the fact that you have to read the manual. You cannot guess your way through this stuff, it's not like a cell phone...

Originally Posted by boxy12 View Post
1. can the system run without the battery? do i need a battery connected to the board? I kept getting message SYSTEM LO BAT.
No, you need to install at least a minimal battery.

2. i have a 6139 alphanumeric key pad and was able to configure zones. How do i program the 4 buttons on the left of the keypad?
If you have made no changes to function key programming they are already default set as follows from top to bottom:
A = * + 1 = Fire Panic
B = * + # = Police Panic
C = 3 + # = Medical Panic
D = single button paging

You use *57 programming if you want to change this from the defaults. In my copy of the manual, it's on page 5-13.

3. How do i set the alpha custom zone name? (eg. Front door, back door). #4 and #6 only move forward and backward.
Page 5-14 *82 Programming zone descriptors. It's easier to use the built in vocabulary, but you can program custom words to mix in. That's on page 5-15.

4. setting up a zone. My door is on zone 2, hard wired to 10 and 11. It is set TYPE 01, hardwire type 2. Should door and windows are NORMAL CLOSE? But 2 is Normal Open, 1 is Normal Close, 0 is EOL. if i set it at 1, normal close, when i open the door, it won't show fault. I have to set hardwire type = 2 to make it chime. why is that?
Normally Open and Normally Closed are contact styles. 99% of all security contacts and devices, are closed when the zone is secure, and opens when the door/window is open.

It is possible that you have managed to get your hands on NO door contacts. When you put the magnet against the contact, does it show electrically open or electrically closed?

It is equally possible, that you have the zone miswired.

EOL refers to circuits with the zone resistor installed.

5. how do i turn off the beep noise when programming?
Keypad # 16 always has all sounds enabled, you cannot turn it off. You _can_ activate address 17 with sounds disabled, and then change the keypad address, if the beeps really bother you.

Old 05-29-09, 08:44 PM
B
Thank you for taking time to answer all my questions. I really appreciate it.
what is the best way of hooking up the door/windows contacts?
i have totally 8 windows, 3 doors. I would like to have 4 windows on zone 2, the other 4 windows on zone 3, door 1 on zone 4, door 2 on zone 5, and door 3 on zone 6.
For the windows. what is the best way to hard wire? Parallel or serial?
thank you.